Chapter 16: Records

The sound of a ringing phone was lost in the din of rolling wheels, chatter and beeping in a hospice in Sunyshore City. Doors were flung open below. Perry's oldest brother, Jon Oak, rushed there from the international airport in Jubilife City. The last-minute flight cost him over two million Pokémon Dollars, but he had no choice. His grandfather on his mother's side, Volkner, was dying.

Jon didn't care about his mom, Daiya, who dumped him on Toru as soon as she realised a baby wouldn't make him stay. He did care about Volkner. He always made sure that Jon knew his mom was the only member of their family who didn't want him. He was even kind to Toru when he was without a father figure.

'Grandpa... I'm here...'

Jon heard sobbing and feared his grandpa was already dead, but Volkner looked as bored as ever as two of his children and one grandchild broke down. Jon's aunt, Daiya's sister Winter, rushed there like he did, from Unova where she was a member of the Elite Four. Her twin brother, Vetle, was the one keeping his cool. He looked as bored as his father. Daiya sobbed even more when her abandoned son ignored her.

'Hey, Jon...'

'I got the last seat on the plane... Dad couldn't make it...'

'Doesn't matter...'

The phone rang for the ninth time outside. No-one in the room heard it. Reira was about to try again, because she had to get through somehow, but then she wondered if Jon was there. She found his number and called him. He ignored it. Would he be more likely to pick up a relative's call? She called her daughter, the Orre League Champion Amaryllis, who asked Perry to call Jon. When he felt his phone vibrating again, he reached to switch it off, but he knew Volkner wasn't exactly joking when he said a telemarketer would be more interesting than listening to all that sobbing.

'Perry? This is bad timing...'

'I know, I know! But Rillie's mom's been trying to call the hospice and there's no answer. She needs to talk to Volkner before he drops dead.'

'Really sensitive phrasing, Pezzinator.'

Volkner sounded vaguely curious. 'Who wants to talk to me?'

'I'm gonna hang up so she can call. Answer it. OK?'

'I mean... if you're OK with it, Grandpa...'

Daiya glared. She didn't care who was calling. She didn't want her father's last moments to be taken up by some stranger. Winter and her daughter were so shaken by the news and rushed journey that they didn't even know what to think. Jon answered Reira's call.

'Hey...'

'Hello, Jon. I know this is the worst timing possible, but may I please speak to Mr. Pasternak?'

'OK...'

Volkner couldn't hold the phone, so Jon held it to his ear.

'How can I help...?'

'I am Senior Inspector Reira Mesquite Fayed of the International Police.'

'Really...? This does sound interesting... vaguely, anyway...'

'If you are up to it, I need to ask you about the Ginkgo Co., formerly known as the Ginkgo Guild – or specifically, a certain member, Volo Lucine.'

'...Volo? Never heard of her...'

'He was a man, but anyway – I wondered if, as the oldest living descendant of his employer – Ginter Pasternak – you might know of any of his diaries or records.'

'...Ginter's records...? They...'

Jon's chest tightened when his grandfather's weak speech turned to a coughing fit. This was like a bad movie.