Chapter 4. Sweet Dreams Are Made of Wings

"Hey, before going home, do you think we should check something out?" Ruth asked the Storyteller. It was already about four in the afternoon and the sky had turned orange-pink. Ruth was at the boulevard once again, eager to spend some time to herself and go window-shopping.

"I didn't spend all that time mapmaking for nothing, so look around! Do whatever you want."

The stores were now open, brightly lit, and receiving customers. The air in the boulevard smelled like smoke and sweet confectionery. There was a clothing store, a priceless antiques store, a jewellery store, a bookstore, there was no shortage of stores selling anything and everything; all bustling with people perusing what they had to offer.

Ruth gasped. She saw a crepe stand with people standing around to order. A child walked away with a crepe in his hand filled with colorful toppings piled high like a grand tower. This stand didn't skimp with its ingredients; everyone walked off with large, cream-filled crepes, each looking more delectable and vibrant than the last. Now, this was something she must try! Ruth eagerly lined up. She came out with her own crepe; a warm waffle filled with cold scoops of different flavors of ice cream, sprinkled generously with multicolored star-shaped sprinkles, a hot fudge drizzle, and chocolate shaped in butterfly wings.

"Does this world just ALWAYS have good food?"

"It's so the viewers get hungry while reading. They want it, but can't have it. Haha!"

"That's a bit cruel. But I get what you mean."

Ruth being the food vacuum she was, she devoured the crepe in a matter of seconds and continued going around. She entered the bookstore, which had a lot of kids from Bellaforte coming in. "Hm...what are people going here for?"

"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, the sequel to Ardent Heart is here, I can't believe it! The wait has been so long!" Ruth heard someone exclaim with elation. "Yeah, I've been a fan for two years since I came out! I have high hopes for the new book!"

"Ardent Heart: Collapse is available here! One copy each with the author's signature and a free poster! Grab it now before stocks run out!" The speakers announced on full volume. A free poster AND a signature?! This is way too good of a deal to pass! Ruth immediately got in line to get a copy.

Hold on, if there's Ardent Heart, then there's also–

"Ugh, how long is this line gonna be? Ezra's taking so long getting the crepes, I'm starving." That familiar whining could only mean Vivien is here! He was lining up with Lillia, but why, though? He wasn't the type to read sappy romance stories. Lillia definitely would. "The book just dropped today, so we're probably going to be waiting for hours. Just be patient." This must be why they left so early, they needed to get the copies ahead.

"Hey, guys!" Ruth greeted them. "Ah! Ruth, you're here too!" Lillia exclaimed. "Yeah, I figured I would get the sequel so I can read the first and second book back to back! And I can catch up to you more quickly."

"Good, I'm excited to have someone to talk to about this series. You will totally love it."

"What are you here for, Vivien?" Ruth asked the blue-haired boy.

"My sister is EXTREMELY obsessed with Ardent Heart, so she paid me to get this book for her. I went along with Lillia since she was getting a copy too. Plus, waiting in line alone is awkward." Vivien answered. "Ezra's getting us crepes from that food stand over there. We didn't know you were here, so he's not getting you one, though. Sorry about that."

"I just got mine. They're absolutely phenomenal." Ruth had a satisfactory smile on her face. "How long have you two been here?"

"We've been standing in line for more than half an hour now. I still have to get home early or I'll get an earful..." Lillia groaned. "But I need this! The wait has been unreal, I need to read it!"