𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚜𝚒𝚡

Benedict had told his mother about his dinner arrangement, and how he wished for his whole family to be there sparse Daphne, because well she had a husband and a child to care for. He supposed he should probably exclude Anthony and Kate, but as his brother was the viscount he thought it was arise unnecessary complications.

His mother couldn't have been more pleased, after the words had slipped from him she had broke out in a cheshire grin, her current cross stitch that was a beautiful depiction of a zinnia flower had fallen from her grasp, he thought it odd she had always stuck to such simple flowers, he wondered what drew her to the flower.

"And why did you invite her? Is there another potential marriage across my sons? If so, Daphne really should-"

He quickly cut his mother off, "No, it's nothing like that, she is, uhm, new to London, I thought I would demonstrate our family's generosity by asking her to dine with us. And Lady Danbury, not just her." He speaks quickly and he is embarrassingly aware of it, his mother's cheery smile fell, and her face was pasted over with a sad expression.

"Benedict, my darling, listen to me, there is no shame in taking a liking to a woman, you are allowed to want marriage and a wife, I do not wish for you to lead a bored and unfulfilled life," Benedict opens his mouth to speak then but she cuts him off, "I know you have your art, and it's absolutely a splendid gift, just don't forget about falling in love, if you can promise me that then I won't bring it up again."

He nods quickly, and he finds his stomach drop inside of him, he has no clue why, he is only spilling honesty, he isn't sinning with lies.

"Mama, I can promise you there is nothing more between me and Miss Galloway." He says, I wish there was.

He quickly pushes the thought away, he has no idea where it came from but knows he cannot allow himself to feel like that, perhaps if she was willing to wait or even if he was a luckier man she would possess the same interests as him, and would fully understand the halter of any potential future. He didn't have to worry about it now, he doubted Galloway wanted anything but a new found friendship.

His mother seems to see through him completely, her eyes linger on him as if she is reaching into his mind and his reading his individual thoughts one by one. The look she inspected him with was filled with doubt, it was clear she didn't believe him and some of him understood why didn't believe him after all he wasn't sure of the words he had just spoke himself.

"Right, if you're sure, then tell me all your needs for the evenings and I will relay it to the staff. It shall be perfect, Benedict dear."

Throughout the seven days, Benedict had a total of six different anxieties each day. And now on the seventh day, the day of the actual evening dinner, his mind was being warped from every imaginable scenario. He had annoyed every sibling of his that was available for the evening. He had retired to his room early afternoon but came down wailing about another issue who had risen by just merely thinking of it.

His last problem was what if Florence's dress didn't match the table covering, or that it ruined her appetite or or or. It was an 'or' or 'what if' with him that evening and his siblings were contemplating poisoning a spare drink for some silence.

Just as he started to get flustered again when staring down the table with a lace pattern draped over it, Eloise decided it was enough.