chapter 3 - bird bath

Florence turned around, spotting the little boat coming their way. She spun around to face Jack again.

"What's our plan?"

"Plan?"

"Yeah, they're going to question why we're here. We have to make up a story or something."

"Right, yeah. I knew that. So what's your plan?" he turned to her, keeping an eye on the smaller boat behind her.

She rolled her eyes and laughed at him to which he frowned. "I was thinking that we could say we were merchants and we went through a bad storm... or- OH! I have a better one, we were coming from London on an impromptu trip to a warmer place but our boat crashed and coincidentally we lost our captain." she grinned, placing her hands on her hips, proud of her work.

"You're a pretty good liar for a mermaid."

"Men aren't hard to fool." her eyes glittered.

"So we're- what are we. We just happened to be on the same boat together?"

"Oh, right. I didn't th-"

"Honeymooners!" he interrupted, " We would be great at that. Easy and nobody asks questions. They even offer free rum!" He grinned, his golden teeth glittering under the hot sun.

"Are you not drunk already?" she whispered to herself, internally giggling at the man before her.

"Perfect! You're not half bad for a pirate." She told him, joking.

"Our ride has arrived," Jack started for the small boat with three men in it who all had dark brown to black hair.

Florence took a step towards the boat and fell face first, catching herself on her hands. Jack heard the thump and spun around, quickly helping her to her feet.

"You 'right luv?" He stationed his arms underneath her armpits and lifted her up.

"Walking might be a little bit of an issue." she laughed then yelped as he picked her up bridal style and started back, walking to the boat where the three men stood, watching the scene unfold.

"Thank you," she whispered, then added, "you smell funny. When's the last time you took a bath?"

He ignored her, his mouth twitching trying to keep back a smile.