chapter 6 - blacksmith

Florence raised her hands in mock defense, stepping back in place. One of the red suited guards held out Jack's pistol and belt to the officer. Florence blinked, frowning in confusion then turned to Jack. He noticed her expression and leaned towards her ear,

"I was going to dive in to help y-"

"I'm a goddamn siren, Captain." Florence whisper-screamed back.

He sucked in one side of his cheek, biting on it. If it weren't for the situation where they were both about to get shot by a dozen navy men, she would be laughing.

The officer took the pirate's pistol and belt, examining the former.

"Extra powder," he states, plucking the powder horn on Jack's belt, "but no additional shot."

The pirate captain shrugs while Florence keeps her frown still.

A shot to give silence to the overwhelming pain of hunger and thirst while your head goes bonkers from being alone on an island.

She couldn't imagine the betrayal he must've felt.

The British navy officer unhooks the compass from the belt he held and opens it. He frowns at it, scrunching his face just slightly as if to keep the sun out of his eyes despite the sun shone behind him. The officer then turns his wrist, adjusting the direction of the compass, yet it points in the direction behind him, where Elizabeth and her father stand.

"It doesn't bear true," he snaps the compass closed, a smug look on his face. Jack and Florence stole a glance at each other.

Again, the officer took another effect from the pirate's belt, his scabbard. The man pulls the sword from its sheath.

"I half-expected it to be made of wood." He scoffs while Florence rolls her eyes.

"Taking stock: you've got a pistol with only one shot, a compass that doesn't point north, a poor girl to do your bidding ... and no ship." The man nods to Florence to which she raises an eyebrow.

"You are, without a doubt, the worst pirate I have ever heard of."

"Ah, but you have heard of me."

Men.

A man comes from behind the speaking officer with some shackles, approaching Jack. Elizabeth steps forward, slipping the jacket off her shoulders.

"Commodore, I must protest! That woman saved my life and if that man is her companion, pirate of not, I will not let you do this."

Florence and Jack's eyes bounce between the two arguing, as if watching a game of some sort.

"One good deed is not enough to redeem a man or woman of a lifetime of wickedness. Miss," He turns to Florence, "you are under arrest for assisting a pirate."

Clink.

The shackles close on both of their wrists.

"It seems to be enough to condemn him." Jack sighs, jangling his wrists.

"Indeed," the man- commodore apparently, smiles.

Now that the two of them were safely chained, Norrington nods to his men. All but one stow their weapons, and two step forward.

"Finally," Jack grins.

Lightning-quick, he takes his chain and wraps it around Florence's throat. She gasps and immediately shoots her hands up to pry off his hands but to no avail.

"What the f-"

Jack closes his palm around her mouth, muffling her spouts of anger. The siren thrashes around, but his grip is tight.