𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 25: 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝛐𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝛐 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞

𝐉𝛐 𝐛𝛐𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐝 𝐝𝛐𝐰𝐧 the steps of the Ivory House, running straight for the phone hanging on the wall in the kitchen. It was the only one in the house, and she picked it up immediately.

"Wanda?" She breathed into the phone, and a laugh emerged on the other end.

"Jo! It's so fucking good to hear your voice!" Wanda's laugh came through the other end, and Jo hopped onto the kitchen counter after pushing a few of Bucky's papers out of the way.

"God! It's been so fucking long!" She groaned and threw her head back.

"Ten whole days!" Wanda laughed again. "Pietro said Bucky's been with you guys..." That knowing tone was laced in her voice, and Jo let out a chuckle.

"Yeah, it's been weird, to say the least."

Maybe telling Wanda wouldn't be so bad. She bit her lip. Telling her right now wasn't possible, Steve and Peggy were moving around the house, and Pietro and Tony were still up too.

"Man, he's even taken your room!"

"What!?" Wanda exclaimed. "Where am I gonna be sleeping then?"

"We should make James bunk with Pietro or Tony. That could be fun," Jo mischievously laughed. He would be so mad at the mess Pietro made of everything and the gadgets littered around Tony's room.

"Have you talked to him at all?"

Jo bit her lip; they had done a lot more than talk.

"Yeah, I'd say we're sort of friends? I don't know what it is really."

That wasn't a lie. She didn't know what they were.

"Are you okay with that?"

"It's fine. God, you should've heard the warning Peggy gave me. She, of course, had to remind me to not be too civil with him," Jo brightly laughed and shook her head. Her sister was going to fucking kill her.

"Well, were you being too civil with him?"

That knowing tone was back.

"I mean... a little- but nothing serious," she quickly added, and she tried to peek around the corners. Her voice was much lower this time around. "With everything, it's been weird." Maybe she should tell her. "James has been..." No, she couldn't. "An ass, to say the least."

"That sounds like the Bucky Barnes I know," Wanda brightly laughed.

"Peggy had the same kind of talk with him, though, and in his words; 'Peggy would castrate him in the worst way he could possibly imagine' if anything happened between us."

Another laugh came from the other end, while Jo nervously chuckled. What they were doing was such a bad fucking idea. This what exactly why she didn't think about the things she did, because more often than not, she would realise how terrible they were. She was being so selfish in not thinking about Peggy's feelings in this.

"Well, that settles it," Wanda laughed. "Pretty sure he doesn't want that to happen... anyway, I guess I can just sleep in your room?"

Shit. All the time she and Bucky spent together was in her room. How would that even work with someone else on the floor? They wouldn't have a second alone, and Wanda would be able to hear everything.

"Yeah," Jo nervously breathed and started twirling the cord around her fingers. "I mean, all of my furniture is sort of in the middle of the room because I'm painting the walls."

"You're painting the walls!? That sounds so rad! No, wait. Don't tell me. I want to see it when I get there."

"It's not a lot. I've only finished the one behind my bed so far," she chuckled and scratched the back of her head, not wanting her friend's expectations to be too high.