Chapter 5

I look to the side and gasp out loud. Right where I had appeared yesterday, a giant forest had appeared, and not just any forest. Mushrooms that could touch the sky grew hundreds of feet into the air.

Annie turned around and faced me. Her face startling me, she seemed disappointed, yet intrigued and confused. But her desaturated white eyes seemed to stare into my soul. I broke eye contact with her, looking at the floor in shame.

Then she started laughing. "Oh my god you're adorable- I'm not mad, do you want to see it? Your forest, I mean." Annie grabs my wrist and leads me, we walk at a fast past, which slowly turns into an evenly paced walk.

I look beside me and see she's still holding my wrist, I don't mind since I just want to see my forest. My forest? That's awesome.

As the forest comes more into view, it's a lot larger than I expected it to be. Annie, still holding onto my wrist, let it go, and motions me to explore. I bounce around happily, I truly feel safe here. It was beautiful, the mushrooms seemed to be hundreds of years old, even though they appeared yesterday.

After about a half hour of me exploring and wandering around happily, Annie was always watching me. It wasn't too weird after a while, but then we reached the edge. The cliff.

I stare off into the distance, looking down I see several large animals flying around the mountain range below. Annie looks and smiles at me, I smile back and she laughs. I'm a bit confused and then after laughing at me, she makes eye contact and says, "Well? Do you like your forest?"

Looking around, I respond "Of course!" I laugh and she motions me we need to leave, I jump up and follow her back out the forest, arguably faster than the way we went in since I wasn't allowed to wander off.

We exited the forest, and the first thing I was greeted with was almost being trampled to death... By Kate... As a horse...

"KATELYN SAIGE EVERDEEN! I SWEAR TO FAE IF YOU TRY KILLING THEM AGAIN I WILL NOT HESITATE TO TAKE AWAY YOUR EXISTING PRIVILEGE!" Annie yelled at Kate. I laugh slightly, then slowly realize that Kate's been trying to kill me.

Annie turns and sighs, noticing my stunned expression, she grabs my wrist, a little less harsh this time, and proceeds to lead me to the lake. "We're having a welcome picnic this afternoon for you, classic Everdeen style, you hang out with Teddy, Theo- however they introduced themselves to you. Me and Kate are going to prepare it and Teddy will answer your questions. Ok?" Annie finishes as Theo come's into view.

"Race you there. To the water line."

"What?" I question her.

"3..."

"OH OK!"

"2..."

"1."

And we sprint off.

Annie is a LOT faster than she looks, she seemed to be going easy on me since I knew she had wings. But her legs developed that weird goat thing again like mine, then she was going faster. I caught up quickly after her, and in less than 15 seconds the race had ended. Annie and I tied, well I'm pretty sure we did since the water splashed loudly as we stepped in it.

"Who won?" I ask.

"I dunno, Theo who won?" Annie turns and asks.

Theo turns and asks a frog beside us in the water. It makes some weird ribbit noise, then Theo answers, "Annie won."

"YES!!" Annie laughs. "Okay, now I need to go to Kate before all the snails get to the plants before I can tell her 'Kate we need that more than the snails' and we're going to argue for the next 100 years."

"Bye mom!"

"Bye Annie!"

"Ok... Cliff, do you have any questions about the island or us?" Theo asked me, the whole interaction seemed to be a bit awkward since we'd barely talked the entire time I've been here, so I just ask them,

"Well, tell me about yourself."