Chapter 6

"Oh well... My name's Theo Teddy Everdeen... I play soccer, I like frogs... I don't!" They laugh awkwardly.

"Sorry that's on me- I should have asked a lot less of a vague question, how did you get here?" I ask them.

"Oh... well, I woke up on some of the giant lily pads over there." They pointed toward the other side of the lake, and right there, there were giant lily pads that could fit a person easily. "And I guess I was the first person to appear, because since then the island has grown a lot since I first appeared... It used to be just a mile or so wide, the cottage was pretty new, and there weren't nearly as many animals roaming around as there are today." Theo seemed reminiscent of the way the island used to be.

"I was the 3rd person to appear on the Island. There have been dozens more though." Theo said. "Any questions about the others?"

Oh yeah, I do... "Well.. Annie.."

"OH of course it's Annie, well, where do we start?" Theo seemed to have heard this before.

"Do most people start with her?" I ask.

"Yes, since she's friendliest and talks to the Spirits the most, so people want to get to know her, but Kate people always wonder about the most." Theo says, remembering as they go.

"So... why does she have mushrooms out of her ears, isn't it uncomfortable?" I ask Teddy.

"Ok... THAT I can only give you a little bit, but I feel like thats one of the few things she should tell you." Theo laughs a bit.

"Oh... ok, why do you all call her mom then?"

"Oh she 'adopted' us when we appeared on the island. I was originally a fiji spirit but she adopted me and Kate accepted me and I became part of the family." Theo answers.

"Can everyone get adopted?"

"No, only people we and the Island like."

"Is the island alive?"

"It's as alive as you want it to be." Theo answers cryptically.

What??

"Ok... How do fiji spirits leave the island?"

Theo turns towards the lake, their eyes looking across the horizon. "When you find peace."

I stand up and walk up to the water, the reflections slowly coming to a pause.

"Then why am I here? I don't have any issues..."

"No one wants to be here, not at first at least. no one knows how to leave until they become part of the island, then you're never lost."

"THEO ARE YOU BEING FUCKING CRYPTIC AGAIN!?" I hear Annie yelling from the cottage. How she heard us from 100 meters away I'll never know.

"No Momboo..." Theo responds in a muffled tone.

"OK GOOD! WE'RE ALMOST DONE!" Annie yells back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that afternoon, we all sat down and I saw Max walking along the mushroom forest for a second then they disappeared. I paid no attention to it, and continued eating the apple pie.

"Sorry about theo being a cryptic little shit." Annie says after eating a bit.

"Any questions?" Kate asks.

"Oh yeah, Annie, why do you have mushrooms out of your ears? Does it ever hurt? And Kate, can you change into that weird dragon whenever you want or is it just when you are threatened?" I rambled on.

"Ok ok, first," Kate answered. "I can change into any animal when I touch their fur, scales, shell, or anything else like teeth or bones." She proudly responded.

"I guess I have these ears to communicate with the others, who all have mushrooms on their heads." She pointed at the two, who I saw had mushrooms growing out of their heads. Well now I know they aren't there for no reason.

"Wait Kate, did you remember to season the salad?" Annie asks, looking down at the salad bowl. It had different vegetables and it didn't look bad.

"Yeah- No." Kate responds.

"I seasoned the soup though."

"With the salad seasoning?"

"NO!" Kate defended pointing to the soup.

"Oh my god..." Theo responded, head in their hands.

I laugh slightly to myself. This obviously wasn't the first time they'd done this.