Chapter 67 | An Abyss Once Known as Ardour |

**First off, I'm sorry for the delayy. But it is finally here. There was a slight change of plan- the chapter's now in Third Pov rather than Kymil's pov, purely because the descriptions seemed to flow better in this way!!

Someway along, there's also a little flashback scene, written to be around two hundred years from the current time- when Meira was yet in Tenebrae and the reason for her fleeing to Luxandria is made clear. Then it returns to present day, and I guess the title works itself out by then ;) **

Written in Third POV

It had only been a few minutes since her captors had left, but Kymil found his gaze unable to stray from where she walked ahead of him. Thick branches sprouting with dark leaves canopied the path back to the campsite and Wilek and Leandra silently led the way, Emrick and Kalena trailing closely behind.

A little apart, Nikolai had a lazy arm thrown around her shoulder as they conversed. Rather, as Nikolai conversed – strangely, she had barely spoken a word since her captors had left.

Here, Kymil thought. She was right here in front of him, in her heels and her jewels and the luxurious fur cloak thrown over a red silk gown. The bottom hem was dirtied by the rough terrain, but she didn't let that bother her. Tresses of golden locks fell over her shoulder and down to her waist, silken and shining under the last struggling rays of light. The last time she had been so close was when he and Kalena had snuck into the Luxandrian war camp and hid in her tent. Kymil forced himself to breath, in and out. He had done just fine for himself the last two centuries and this was the last thing he needed.

Hands shoved in his jacket pockets and a scowl plastered over his face, he was the last to emerge into the bleak opening where camp was being set up for the night. The black of his leathers stood stark against the dim orange glow of the setting sun, but he could feel his skin slowly begin to warm.

Inexplicably, his gaze again flickered to her. Even amidst an upcoming war, those too-familiar green eyes crinkled with joy as she took in the blossoming clouds. Memories threatened to rise to the surface of Kymil's mind, but he shook his head and cleared any thoughts away. This was not the time for reminiscings.

His shoulders relaxed that little bit when he turned to find Kalena heading straight for him. He tensed just as quickly upon noticing the purpose in her stride. "Seriously? she almost spat, disapproval lining her tone as she came to stand before him.

Kymil didn't need to ask what she was talking about. Instead ushering her into the sanctuary of the forest, he explained, "It's not what you think."

Kalena looked like she could roll her eyes. Lowering her own voice to a whisper, she warned, "Meira has had over two hundred years to hone her skills. And I know the Luxandrians well enough by now to know she will go to any extreme to gain the upper hand here. Bringing her back was a mistake, and she'll not miss up the chance to play it to her advantage."

Meira... take advantage of him? He scoffed. He would have to be a fool to let himself be so vulnerable again. "Whatever we had, finished in Tenebrae," he assured. "She's nothing to me now."

"For your sake, Kymil –" Kalena sighed, "– I hope that's true."

*

In a narrow pit of the forest, the trees cleared just enough to give view to a tar-black sky, lit by a thousand constellations. Intertwined with the curling fire, light bloomed enough to discern erected tents and beside them, four figures sat upon thick logs. Kymil braced his arms upon his thighs as he used one knife to wield another. Amidst the soft hush of night, only her voice interrupted the silence, low and amused, "I know you missed me."