Warmth

The snow whipped around me in a frenzy. I dropped my head in defeat before stepping into the snow. My foot sunk a little, but I began walking. Every step was a mile until I reached the fence. A few minutes of inspection revealed the gate latch. It swung upwards, explaining while I hadn't been able to see the gate.

    I stood there, motionless. My gut screamed at me to turn around and go back, to plead my case and beg to be allowed inside, but I quashed the feelings. I clenched my fists. Even though Tonya was a dishonorable thief, she'd made it first. As unfair as it was, she'd won. There was no changing that.

    Sheer will alone allowed me to keep moving. Once through the gate, I limped for one of the buildings. Maybe I'd fix up my scarves and check my supplies. Maybe I wouldn't. I didn't know.

   The knob to one of the buildings was unlocked. I pushed it open slowly. Dragging my leg inside, I leaned against the wall as I shut the door. Shaking my head, I pushed off and examined the room. It was small and entirely empty. Useless, in other words.

    Resigned, I headed for the door on the other side. The faint light told me it led to the outside. I didn't have a plan. What was I supposed to do? Keep walking until I died?

    I twisted the knob to the exterior door and opened it. There was a cry and something crashed into my legs. I staggered backwards with a yelp of pain before looking down, alarmed. Someone small had their arms around my hips. I recognized the dark hair before my jaw fell.

    "Ram?!"

    "Mr. Drifter! You made it!"

    Bewildered, I gripped his shoulder. "How are you here?"

   "Maria and I were given rides by a group," he said quickly. He released his hug on my legs, beaming. "They had a helicopter and flew us back here. I've been here for a month already."

   "Oh. That's great, Ram." I squeezed his shoulder. "I'm happy for you." A small part of me relaxed. It'd been tense since I left the two of them back at their house. "But I'm too late. I have to leave."

    "Leave?" He looked up. "What do you mean, leave? You just got here."

    "He's right."

    I looked up to see Azra leaning against the wall. How did he even get here? He grinned for the first time. "You just got here."

    No words left my mouth as I looked between them, lost. Azra stepped forward, lifting his hand. "I'm sorry for the confusion. But every person we see is run through a test of character. Only those who pass are let into the Ark. You were smart enough to find the Ark, smart enough to get inside, ignored stealing the supplies, and was civil and respectful of my decision. Most importantly, you were selfless, putting the well-being of a dog above your own life. You passed the test."

    My gaze turned skeptical. "I've died, haven't I?"

    Ram laughed. Azra shook his head, as if amused.

    "That's the only way that this is possible."

    "You made it, Drifter. Want proof?" Azra reached behind his back and opened a door I hadn't seen.

    Chance came barreling out of the room. Despite the fact that he'd only been away for fifteen minutes, he acted as if he hadn't seen me in weeks. I was rooted to the spot as he slammed into my shins. He bounced on his back legs and waved at my hands, demanding to be picked up.

   I looked at Azra accusingly. "You're serious?"

    "Yes, Drifter. Besides, I told you Chance would be in good hands. I just didn't say whose."

    I wanted to scream at him. He'd just run me through hell as a test? What the absolute hell?

   My anger dissipated as Chance bit my pant leg impatiently. My knees gave out. Chance backed out of the way as I sat down hard. He jumped onto my lap as I sat still in shock. Ram sat down next to me and began to talk, explaining the details of his adventure to the Ark and his adventures. I couldn't hear him past the ringing in my ears.

    The remains of humanity had been willing to kill and destroy for warmth and life. By refusing to follow the same path, I'd survived. It didn't feel real. It felt too good to be true. Half of me was convinced this was some pre-death hallucination.

    Instead, I looked down at Chance. He met my eyes and his tail wagged happily. My jaw tightened slightly as I felt myself smile at him. Even if this wasn't real, I realized that I didn't care. I'd wanted warmth, and I'd found that warmth in the form of the dog sitting on my lap.

26,749 total words