🌿Ch 3 - Sarah Ravencroft 🌿

And thus, you were all lead to the Puritan village.

Stocked to the brim with tourists; children giggling from amazement at the sights and adults taking pictures with their cameras. From pulling out freshly baked bread from a lite stone oven to live turkeys in their pens on display.

"What you're seeing is a perfect recreation of what life was like back in the 1600's as reenacted by our locals." Mayor Cory explained, uttermost pride laced in.

"When did all of this go up?" Ben asked.

"About six months ago."

"This is amazing, Mayor." Velma marveled.

"Not bad." You mumbled, a bit intrigued; the pilgrim outfits and man made wooden houses helped add to the aesthetic appeal.

"Oh! Corn husk dolls! Aren't they cute, Fred?" Daphne picked up one from the display of them set out on the tree trunk, showing the boy pilgrim doll off.

"Yeah, charming." Fred grinned.

The love struck gaze the pair exchanged made you feel a bit jealous internally, turning your back to them.

But the sight of other happy couples around, content families, all the smiles and laughter ... it made you feel hollow and lonesome all over again.

You clutched your music player in both hands tightly, feeling the urge to just tune out everything. The brightness, the voices, the people.

All color turns to gray.

Static floods your ears.

Your vision starts to fade –

"Eh look Scoob! I've been a bad boy!" Shaggy's impression of a goat snapped you out of it followed by Scooby snickering as some locals laughed at the sight of Shaggy in the stocks. You blinked away the blurriness, shaking your head to clear your mind. You spotted the two pals approach a pilgrim dressed lady churning butter.

"Woulds thou like to churn?" She asked.

"Huh?" Scooby pursed his lips.

"Like it's your turn to churn the butter, old buddy!" Shaggy encouraged.

"Uh-huh!" Scooby giggled to that.

You walked up closer to stand beside Shaggy as Scooby churned old school style – before literally using it as a guitar; jumping and jamming about. Right before spilling some butter and slipping, accidentally tossing the churner whilst landing on his back. But he didn't mind. And neither did the laughing crowd.

"Now all we need is the popcorn." Shaggy commented.

"To think that dog can actually walk and talk." You shook your head in disbelief, but you smiled a bit nonetheless. The hilarious moment made you feel less heavyhearted inside and more ... light.

"So, you say a ghost has been appearing here?" Your ears picked up Velma's voice, looking past the spinster, spotting her with your uncle and the mayor in their own private space.

"That's right, young lady. Apparently, we disturbed the spirit of Ben's ancestor who was persecuted as a witch way back in 1657." The Mayor explained.

"She's my ancestor too ... again, personal offense." You grumbled, startling Velma who you were standing behind.

"And unjustly persecuted. Sarah Ravencroft was a medicine woman who practiced natural healing and was unfairly accused because of her eccentric ways." Ben heatedly jested, getting all up in the Mayor's face.