The Kings Road

Thanks for reading and stay safe :)

"You gut the rabbit. I'll do the birds. You saw how I did it yesterday." Sansa swallowed nervously but took the knife out of its sheath. She delicately cut the rabbit trying to skin it. The knife pierced the flesh and a stream of blood erupted onto her hands. The Hound made noises of irritation.
"Here." He snatched the rabbit out of her hands and signaled for her to watch him. She watched him carefully. When he was done he tossed the raw carcass to her. She caught it messily and began cooking in silence.
"How long until we get to Riverrun." She asked.
"Depends." He said chewing at the wing of the bird.
"On what?" She pressed.
"How many men are after us. How fast we ride. If we get killed that would slow us down." He said darkly. Sansa nodded slowly.
"But if don't die, or we don't get captured?"
"A week? Maybe less."
"Oh," Sansa said. She was hoping they would be there soon. There was silence except for the crackling of the fire.
"Get some rest. When your done eating." Sansa nodded and threw away her bones. She walked over to the creek and washed her hands and mouth. The Hound threw her a worn blanket.
"What about you?" She asked.
"Don't worry about me." He said. "Your brother won't pay me if you're frozen." Where still in the south she thought. When I get back to Winterfell, that'll be cold. But maybe she had been in the south for two long because that night she slept deeply under the blanket.

She awoke to soft shakes on her shoulder and her heart filled with dread. Another day at Kingslanding. Another day with Joffery.
"Wake up little bird." Said a gruff voice. Sansa's eyes suddenly flew open as she remembered where she was. She sat up and rubbed the sleep from her eyes. She had dreamed that she was her wolf, Lady. Lady's dead. She reminded herself. Cersei killed her. All because of Arya. In truth, she missed her sister. She wanted her to talk to. Someone who remembered home. The Lannisters had taken away everything that had to remind her of it. Including her father's head. She tried not to think about it. She was going home to her mother and brother. She forced herself up and folded the blanket neatly. The Hound had slept in his armor and dirt had struck to the back of it. Sansa almost wanted to brush it off but didn't. The Hound had already caught 3 rabbit's and was skinning them with his knife. She took out her own and began concentraing on it. Determined to make it perfect. It was like needlework, all you needed was patience and concentration. She was halfway done when the hound had already done the other 2. He watched her with a smirk.
"Didn't expect you to do it."
"I learn." She replied.
"That you do, Little Bird."
"My name is Sansa." She said suddenly, surprised about her outburst. "Or Alayn. Or anything! Not little bird."
The Hound looked surprised then chuckled.
"Your dripping blood on your dress, Alayn." He said still smirking. Sansa smiled happy with the result.
"Tell me then Alayn? If I can call you that what can you call me?" He inquired.
"Sandor, Hound, Dog, Celgane" Sansa replied without looking at him. The Hound thought about this for a moment.
"Sandor." He said finally.
"If that's what you want," Sansa said shrugging finishing the last of the gutting.
"Hmm. Sandor." He said thoughtfully more to himself than anyone else. Sansa began to watch him. She sensed a calm feeling coming from him. A sort of peacefulness that came from hearing his name. She realized that for the first time she didn't see his scars anymore. When he caught her looking at him she didn't turn away.
"I never said thank you. For getting me out of that awful place." Sansa said. The Hound snorted.
"It wasn't a chivalrous deed. It was a financial bargain."
"Well then, if that is the case then may I ask you of something?"
"Depends." He said unenthusiastically.
"I want you to teach me to shoot." Sandor snorted again.
"You! Your mother would have a fit."
"My mother is not here." She snapped. "Please Sandor, we'll have less chance of dying if I can help you fight off the soldiers."
"We'll! I'll die and you'll wish you were dead." He interrupted.
"Please." She begged.
"Fine." He said gruffly. Sansa leaped up. "Not now girl," Sandor said as he bit into the rabbit. "Later"