III

We've been driving behind Mark's car for a good while now. We're deep in a wooded area.

"Not shady at all." Jonah mumbles. "I'm sure we'll be fine. He doesn't seem like a bad dude." I respond.

"He smells like he smokes a pack a day, and looks old enough to be my dad." He replies. "Oh come on, old enough to be your dad, he's like late 30's If anything."

"He's probably like 65!" Jonah exaggerates. "Your pushing it- no fucking way is he 65." I laugh a bit.

We pull up to a clearing with a bunch of open land. There's a small house with a garden in front of it Mark parks in his driveway next to another car.

"Big ass garden. You think they grow marijuana or something?" I elbow him. "Can you not talk about weed for one second. Fucking pothead."

He laughs before parking behind Mark's car. We both get out and look around. A dog comes running at us.

"Woah! Big guy!"  I yell as it hops up on me. I pet him. Jonah joins me in petting it "Cool a bloodhound."

I hear Mark whistle and the dog rushes to his side. "You guys coming in?" He asks.

"Uh yeah." We both follow Mark inside hit with the smell of food being cooked.

We look around and see a bunch of pictures hanging up along with religious stuff. Jonah mumbles "ohhh great. Time to get lectured about Jesus." He rolls his eyes as we make our way into the kitchen.

"Cesar, there here." Mark calls out. A short man appears wearing a sweater vest and a rosary. He walks over and kisses Mark's temple. "I didn't expect you to be back so early dinner is barely made." He laughs a bit.

"It's alright." He responds.

Cesar looks at me and Jonah. "Take a seat both of you, there's a lot for us to talk about." He smiles warmly at us. 

Me and Jonah look at each other before sitting down. I take a good look at Cesar and notice the big scar around his neck.

"Adam, right?" He asks and I nod. "That scar on your eye the alternate gave it to you?"

"Yeah. I don't remember how though I was kinda blacked out for most of it." I reply looking behind Cesar to see Mark cooking.

"God you poor things. I'm so sorry you had to deal with one of them." He sits down with us. "Let's cut to the chase right, for a long time Mark and I have gone and attempted to kill all the alternates we could find. The reason I wanted to meet you is because it seems like you have a connection with one of the specific alternates."

I listen attentively. "It seems to be targeting you, seeing as it called you to-'' he clears his throat. "My mothers home." 

He looks at me then Jonah. "We want your help to get rid of them."

"Our help? Why?" Jonah asked. "Like I said, Adam has a connection, it's targeting you. So why not get rid of it."

I look at Jonah. Considering the offer. I mean I want to get rid of these alternate things. Especially if it has anything to do with me. But at the same time  I don't wanna put Jonah and I in danger again.

"I don't know- sounds dangerous." I look at Jonah again. ".. I think we should do it- get rid of that thing that tried to kill you." He responds vengefully.

"I mean, if you're down I'm down." I reply before looking at Cesar. "We're in, just tell us how to kill those things."

"I will, tomorrow, it's getting late. For now just relax. Are you two hungry?" We both nod quickly. The fast food from earlier is nothing compared to a home cooked meal.