INFO

Eating disorders are associated with significant physical complications and increased mortality. The mortality rate for people with eating disorders is the highest of all psychiatric illnesses, and over 12 times higher than that for people without eating disorders.

Eating disorders occur in both men and women, young and old, rich and poor, and from all cultural backgrounds. About one in 20 Australians has an eating disorder and the rate in the Australian population is increasing.

There are four eating disorders that are recognised by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), which are Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, Binge Eating Disorder and Other specified feeding and Eating Disorders (OSFED).

Eating disorders defy classification solely as mental illnesses as they not only involve considerable psychological impairment and distress, but they are also associated with major wide-ranging and serious medical complications, which can affect every major organ in the body.

Approximately 15% of Australian women experience an eating disorder during their lifetime.

Many people who have eating disorders also present with depression, anxiety disorders, personality disorders or substance abuse problems.