3 | Kindness

"... It's finally morning."

Eleanore looked at the ceiling above her as she opened her eyes from her long dream.

There were dark circles visible under her eyes as she stayed up late due to the work she had to do as the duchess.

Although it was hard at first, Eleanore was quick to adapt, and the head maid explained the job without questioning it even further.

She immediately sat upright and slapped her own cheeks to wake herself up from the tiredness.

(Alright! Let's start to treat males like real human beings! It's time to change this fucked up world!)

(I read the history book a few times already, but I don't find any clues on the reason for forcing males into slavery.)

Her eyes narrowed in wonder.

(... As if the reason was purposely hidden.)

Getting up from the bed, her feet touched the cold, hard floor, and she was positive she could at least make a little change.

A sudden knock on the door interrupted her thoughts, and she immediately knew who that was.

"Good morning, Your Grace. It's time for breakfast!"

Eleanore's personal maid, Doris, said with a friendly smile on her face while holding the silver tray in her hand.

"Doris, could you prepare my breakfast in the dining room?"

Eleanore asked, looking at Doris with a comfortable smile.

Doris was surprised to see the duchess smiling so comfortably. And she thought that the slave might be the reason why Eleanore changed.

However, at Eleanore's request, she raised her brow, tilting her head to the other side questioningly but she decided to not question the duchess further.

"... I understand, Your Grace!"

She obeyed immediately, nodding her head.

"Prepare for two people."

"... Two?"

Eleanore twitched her eyebrow at her personal maid when she looked confused because Eleanore suddenly asked for two people.

"Are you questioning me?"

"Eh? No! Not at all! I will prepare it immediately!"

"Also, call the head maid."

"Yes, Your Grace!"

She bowed down briefly and left the room after Eleanore gave her orders.

After a while of waiting, the head maid entered her room, giving her a polite curtsy.

"Good morning, Your Grace. Did you call for me?"

Narrowing her eyes, Eleanore prepared herself the moment the head maid entered the room.

(Alright, this is the difficult part!)

(I hope she won't question anything.)

"Helen, I'm sure you're aware that I received a slave yesterday from Lady Isadora."

Helen nodded her head in understatement.

"Yes, I am aware."

"... His name is Alvaro, remember that. I want you to order the other maids to prepare his clothes. We do have male clothes, right?"

Helen's expression was unfazed by Eleanore's request, and she was perplexed by Helen's reaction, but she decided to disregard the thoughts.

"Unfortunately, we don't have male clothing in this household."