chapter 1 - season 1

word count: 3.9k
warnings: bad attempt at an interaction w a child , none (lmk if there are any)

Indistinct chatter passes through your ears like the wind, the people around you greet you casually and you do the same back to them. They ask where you're headed to, but it's pretty obvious where you're going. After all, everyone knows how much you love that place anyway.

"Y/N!" A high pitched voice sounds, immediately grabbing your attention. A smile makes its way to your lips and your eyes light up upon seeing a little girl running towards you. She crashes into your legs, squeezing you with her arms as tightly as she can. "Hey, Yui." You chuckle, picking her up in your arms.

The girl, Yui, squeals, wrapping her arms around your neck and rubbing her cheek against yours in pure happiness. "I missed you!" She coos, her smile is as bright as day.  "Oh really? Well, I missed you too." You say with a chuckle, turning to plant a big kiss onto her cheek. Yui squeals again, wriggling around a little.

"Oh, Mr. Xen!" She chirps upon seeing a boy with light coloured hair standing a few feet away. The sight of him makes your heart skip a beat in your chest.

The boy named Xen sighs, shaking his head. "Yui, how many times must I tell you to not run out of the nursery without me knowing?" He frowns at her helplessly, the girl's cuteness being too much to stay mad at.

Yui giggles again, hugging herself closer to you. "Sorry Mr. Xen, I just saw Y/N so I went out to see her." She huffs, turning her face away. You let out a laugh, coming to a stop in front of Xen. "I see you're doing well," he smiles at you, turquoise eyes meeting your own. You nod your head in response, feeling your lips tug into a smile, "today's Horsemen of John weren't much of a hassle. No vampires either." You follow the boy further into the nursery with Yui attached to your hip.

Xen hums, nodding his head. The other kids come running up to him, grabbing at his legs and waving at you. You smile and wave back at them, plopping yourself down on the ground against the wall. Yui instinctively clambers into your lap, burying her face into your neck and latching onto your torso like a sloth. "It's good you came back with no injuries this time," Xen speaks, taking a seat next to you. His fingers interlock with yours on the floor.

You hum in response, unable to hide the blush that dusts your cheeks. "Even if I had injuries, Kuzu-no-ha can heal them," you reply, reaching out to pat one of the kids' heads as they waddle up to you, toys in their chubby little hands. "Still, no injuries are better than having one." Xen says, you have to agree with him.

A few moments of silence tick by between the both of you, the noisy children in the background acting as ambience. Your stomach then growls rather loudly and embarrassment flushes over you at the very moment. "Sorry, just hungry." You chuckle nervously, pouting at Yui who pulls back to laugh at your stomach, smacking you with her small hands a few times. You can only laugh at her antics.

Xen chuckles, shaking his head. He lets go of your hand and stands up, dusting his pants. You follow him with your eyes, "I'll go and prepare some food, the kids haven't eaten either." He says, patting your head before walking off. "Yay dinner with Y/N!" Yui cheers, smacking both your cheeks with her hands, making you laugh. "Yes, dinner with me." You chuckle, blowing raspberries on her arm, making her squeal with laughter.

Yui squirms around in your lap, your hands holding her small body to keep her from falling. The other kids join in too, attacking you in tickles. As a person who's most vulnerable to tickles, you have to admit defeat immediately, laying on the floor, chest heaving with pants as they continue to tickle you with no mercy.

When Xen comes back with a tray of food in his hands, a few helpers behind him carrying food for the kids, he raises a brow at your figure laying on the floor, hair unkempt as if you'd just been in a battle with a vampire noble. No, in fact, you'd just been tickled to death by a bunch of kids. Not that you care exactly, because you practically love these kids.