chapter 4 - season 1

word count: 4.6k
warnings: mika and reader are awkward, idk how to come up with arguments :)

The ride is bumpy and honestly, you don't know how long you've been sitting in this car for. All you know is that the sun is beginning to set, painting the sky in an orange and pink hue. It's probably been a few hours, your butt's starting to hurt from sitting so long.

Moreover, the wounds you've acquired from your battle are aching endlessly. You know there's no time to stop and tend to wounds properly but damn could your demon be any slower at repairing them right now? You feel like you're going to get blood all over the place by the time he's done. Kuzu-no-ha sneers at you from inside your mind but you pay no mind, only bugging for him to hurry the fuck up.

Yuichirou, who sits in the seat next to you, suddenly lunges forward, grabbing the seat in front of him, which happens to be Kimizuki's; the driver's seat. "Hey look over there, we can stay there for a bit, right?" He asks, pointing towards something in the distance. His loud and energetic voice breaks the heavy atmosphere in the air. Again, he's as energetic as ever. You wonder how this group even keeps up with his endless bouts of energy, maybe they don't, maybe they barely tolerate him because you'd do that too honestly.

Yoichi and Shinoa startle themselves and sit up in their places, almost unaware of what's going on. They're probably just tired too. Kimizuki groans, slapping Yuichirou's hand away with an annoyed hiss. "Shut it, idiot. Stop getting in the way." He barks at the boy, reddish brown eyes shooting a harsh glare at him. Sometimes you think Kimizuki's like a feral cat.

Beside him, Makoto lets out an exhausted sigh and shakes his head, ignoring the banter as he looks at the large map in his hands. Both of them have been the ones looking at the road and giving each other driving, the older boy being the one who's been driving the whole time. If anyone were to be the most exhausted, it'd be them.

Mikaela, sitting next to Yuichirou, tries to get the boy to settle down and even scolds him a little. Eventually, the black haired boy does calm down and returns to silently sitting in his seat; however, he does look like an over energetic child who's trying his best to contain his restlessness. He looks like he's about to explode in his seat if he doesn't get his ass off the cushion and stretch his limbs.

Ultimately, despite his protests, Kimizuki pulls up at the place Yuichirou suggested they take a rest at. Makoto reasoned with the pink haired boy, saying that the group of you should be far enough from the soldiers already. That gives you an estimate as to how long you've all been in that car: hours. Everyone files out of the vehicle and automatically resorts to stretching their stiff limb as it comes to  stop. You can just imagine the way Yuichirou jumps out excitedly, stretching his arms with a loud and content groan.

"Makoto and I will go and try to start up the generator for electricity, the rest of you can go see what we're working with in the house." Kimizuki announces, pointing with a thumb over to the boy beside him. Everyone murmurs out an agreement, too tired to protest, as they make their way into the house. You don't say anything, only keeping your head down as you follow behind the group into the house. Brushing past Kimizuki as you do, you get the feeling that he doesn't really like you. It's as if his eyes are burning holes into the back of your head but you ignore it instead.

A groan of disgust comes from Mitsuba as she steps into the house, small bits of pebbles and glass crunching under her boots. "I hate cobwebs," she mutters, swatting one angrily as she walks past it. You look around a little, taking in your surroundings. This house must have cost a fortune, probably the most modern thing you'll get to see in an apocalypse. The previous owners must have been rich as hell.

Most of the furniture in the house are either broken, dusty, or turned over probably due to vampires raiding it for livestock. You side step the broken glass from a display cabinet and follow Shinoa and Mitsuba up the flight of stairs to the side. A bunch of rooms fill the hallway, probably bedrooms. "Each of us take one from here?" Shinoa asks, gesturing with her hand to the three doors on the right side. You and Mitsuba nod your heads before taking one each.