Chapter 1: Ghouls & Doves

{Oh, so you're still here. That makes me happy, Reader-chan. I'm going to start off by telling you how I met Master.~ That night remains in my mind as if it had happened but moments ago. Im really attached to Master, so never try hurting him, okay? If you do, I'll be very mad, and that side of me is scary. I'm usually a forgiving type of person after about a minute or so, but hurting Master will not be forgiven so easily. Well, I guess I should start telling you my story, Reader-chan. Ah~, before I start on my tale, the girl in the picture, that's me.~}
I sat on the roof of some building, my legs dangling over the side as I stared down at the flock of people walking about and heading for their homes before it got too dark. At least, most of the humans were. I had no part in their world, yet I found them to be interesting. I had no part in the world I should belong to either, my kin rejecting me because I was different from most ghouls.

"Jeez. This is soooo boring. Why do I have to investigate in such a boring place?" a voice from someone in the dissipating crowd whined. The words had just floated to my keen ears and I became very interested in this person. I looked directly where I heard the voice come from and saw a rather feminine looking boy; he seemed about a year older than I was.

"Eh? I'm a little bored, too, but shouldn't we be arriving at where the ghoul is supposed to be residing soon?" another male replied questioningly. I became even more interested, curious really. Absentmindedly, I noticed there were very few people left walking outside aside from the two who'd piqued my interest.

"Yeah! I can't wait. I hope it's strong, otherwise it'll be really boring," the feminine boy said. I walked along the edge of the rooftops as I followed their movements, listening to their conversation.

"W-well, be careful what you wish for," the older male said, stuttering a little.

"Haha~ You're such a coward, Hanbee. You tagging along is really useless," the younger male teased. I giggled a bit.

"I know, Juuzou-senpai," the older male, Hanbee, sulked in a defeated tone. The feminine male, Juuzou, laughed. Now the streets were void of anyone except the two males and me. I wondered idly if they would notice me regardless of whether I showed myself to them. Suddenly they stopped and faced the building across from the one I stood upon. I tilted my head sideways, curious.

"I wonder what the ghoul will be like," Juuzou said cheerily.

"This place gives me the creeps," Hanbee said with a shiver. I didn't understand how he thought the abandoned building was creepy. I liked the look of the cobwebs scattered along the wall, especially around the windows. It also looked like there would be some places within that could easily collapse, definitely my kind of place. I didn't like the person who dwelt within, though.

"If you want, you can just stay out here and wait for me like a coward," Juuzou said. It was this moment I decided to reveal myself. I hopped down from my perch and landed lithely and silently on my feet.

"Hello," I greeted. Hanbee yelled in fearful surprise and I giggled at his reaction. Juuzou, on the other hand, turned to see who had spoken. A grin spread across his lips.

"Hello~," he said, waving at me.

"The ghoul man in there is a mean butt face," I said, pointing at the abandoned building.

"W-where did you come form? Who are you? And why would you know that?" Hanbee questioned, clearly still frightened by my little surprise appearance. I stuck my tongue out at him.

"I don't answer the questions of cowards," I replied childishly. "Such a uselessly frightened expression is.....boring!~"

"Whaaaa?"

"Haha~ That's a funny expression! I know I'm weird, so it's fine if you insult me. I don't really care about that~," I giggled. This was my first time talking to humans of my own choosing. Usually, I avoided people, whether human or ghoul, and kept to myself, choosing to observe from a distance. But Juuzou had piqued my interest and curiosity had gotten the better of me. It was a rather nostalgic feeling, talking so easily to strangers who weren't either annoying me or trying to hurt me in some way. I wasn't used to it, but it was also kind of nice.

"Hey, you should know what kind of ghoul is in there, right, since you seem to know him?" Juuzou said. I caught on quickly.

"Yup!~ Yup!~ He tried eating me a few times. He's really fast, but I'm faster," I chirped. "Also....you're implying I might be a ghoul myself, right?~"

"Ah!~ You're pretty good! Why were you following us, miss ghouly?" he asked. This guy was really interesting.

"I overheard you say something about an investigation and this place being boring, so I kept listening. I'm bored and you're interesting. That guy isn't, though," I answered, pointing to Hanbee.

"Eh? So honest..." Hanbee mumbled.

"Hahaha~ I wouldn't expect Hanbee to be interesting," Juuzou said.

"Wait...you're not denying being a ghoul?!" Hanbee exclaimed, realising a beat too late. I laughed.

"What's the point in denying that? Besides, I don't eat the living. I tend to avoid confrontation with others, but this is an exception," I said. "I don't want to fight either of you, so allow me to be of some use because I think that person is annoying.~"

"Okaaay~," Juuzou responded immediately.

"Suzuya-senpai!" Hanbee said in an almost chastising tone, but still overly respectful.

"Heh heh~ Really such a useless guy," I teased Hanbee. I couldn't resist making fun of this type of person.

"Yeah, he's always like that~," Juuzou said. "Let's go in.~"

"This should be fun~," I chirped, following after Juuzou as he ran in.

"Eh?! H-hey! Wait up!" Hanbee called after us. Despite not being very interesting, I had to admit Hanbee was a pretty funny guy. He had such amusing reactions, especially the frightened reactions. Juuzou stopped and I stopped right next to him, Hanbee almost running into me when he stopped. I looked up at Juuzou with a smile plastered on my lips.

"He's upstairs, isn't he?" Juuzou asked.

"Yup.~ By the by, I'm Reika," I said.

"Eh? Like that cold candy-like stuff?" Juuzou asked.

"Uh huh," I replied with a nod.

"Up we go~," he said, heading upstairs. Hanbee and I followed after him. Would that annoying guy be surprised or was he lying in wait? I had to wonder.