Chapter 6: Black Widow

[A/N: To the music lovers reading this fanfic: unlike the last two chapters, this one's title isn't meant as a shout out to a song of the same name. That's unintentional. I have so much inspiration for writing this fanfic thanks to music and poetry and also my readers, especially the ones commenting.~ Thank you guys so much.~ This chapter is dedicated to Sasa because I feel like it.~ Another thing, my posts will take longer and be more unpredictable from now onwards.]
{Haah~ I really like my life with the "family" I became a part of. If I die protecting them, as long as they live, then dying would be worth it, Reader-chan.~}
"What the hell, Urie?! You can't keep bullying Reika-chan like that! So mean," Saiko chastised.

"Weren't you sleeping just now? You don't even know what's going on," Urie scoffed. This was the second time Saiko had a weird dream about Urie bullying me during a meeting. Not that he didn't attempt bullying me outside of her dreams, he took any chance he got to either attempt killing me or verbally abuse me. Needless to say, we loathed each other quite a bit.

"Leave Sai-chan alone, Uri-kun," I said.

"I don't take orders from a ghoul," he retorted.

"Racist," I deadpanned. Kiomi covered her mouth with her hand, trying not to laugh.

"Pest," Urie spat.

"Butt face," I said.

"Harlot," Urie chided. I blinked.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Dumbass. You're so stupid," Urie scoffed. A knife was suddenly pinning Urie's hand to the table, Juuzou less than a foot from him.

"Rei-chan might not care about those things, but you really shouldn't be insulting her like that. That sort of thing causes problems," Juuzou said.

"Juuzou-kun's here!~" I cheered with a giggle. Haise sighed.

"Can we get on with the meeting now...without throwing insults at each other?" Marude groaned.

"We should leave Black Widow and Brown Recluse to Suzuya Squad and Quinx Squad," Tanakamaru said. I tilted my head sideways thoughtfully.

"That's fine. We can handle that," Haise said. Juuzou looked bored.

"Those two sound familiar somehow," I commented. This got the entire room's attention.

"What do you mean, Reika-san?" Mutsuki asked. I shrugged.

"It just feels as if I'd heard those names before a long time ago. I'm not really sure," I replied.
|~|~|~|~|
I followed Haise inside the Ghoul Detention Center. We stopped at a particular cell within old ghoul inside.

"Oh, hello, Haise. Nice timing, I was just getting bored," the ghoul said.

"Hello, Porpora. How have you been?" Haise greeted kindly.

"Haha. Same as always. Oh...you have a new one with you today. Quite young too," the ghoul, Porpora, said. His face was suddenly very close to the glass separating us with a crazed expression. "Looks really tasty! I want to selfishly rip apart that belly, and stuff my mouth full with those soft organs."

"Speaking of stuffing mouths, I want donuts ~," I giggled. Porpora looked at me thoughtfully.

"You're an odd one, aren't you?" Porpora mused.

"Certainly so, enough that my differences between my own ilk and I don't bother me in the least despite always being looked down upon~," I chirped.

"Hahaha. Most would feel ashamed or embarrassed because of something like that," Porpora said. "So, Haise, why did you come this time?"

"Do you know anything useful about Black Widow or Brown Recluse?" Haise asked. Porpora grinned.

"Ah, Brown Recluse is rumoured to be a one-eyed ghoul, but no one knows for sure. Black Widow I knew personally," he answered. "You look an awful lot like her, little girl. I do remember her seeming like the type to abandon her own children. Perhaps you're her daughter."

"It would explain why that name sounds familiar, but how would you know that I'd been abandoned? Aren't you just assuming?~" I said.

"Sometimes assuming will get you the answers you seek," Porpora replied.

"So, assuming Black Widow is my mother, where would she most likely be~?" I hummed.
|~|~|~|~|
"Shut up, Urie. We're supposed to be working together, so stop trying to start a pointless fight," I said. Why did I have to be paired with this guy when everyone knew there was no way we could work together without arguing? Mutsuki at least should have been sent with us.

"I refuse to work with a stupid ghoul. If I had to be paired with someone when we split up, then it should have been someone else," he complained.

"Then deal with it. I'm not leaving your side. Hai-kun said to stay with your partner," I reminded him.

"Who cares what Sasaki said? I should kill you now and say one of the ghouls showed up and killed you," Urie growled.

"Even if you could manage to kill me, they wouldn't believe you. At least Juuzou-kun wouldn't," I retorted. Being around this jerk made me way too serious for my liking. Carefree was my thing, not this dour mood.

"Oh, how cute.~ You two fight like brother and sister," a woman wearing a mask said, walking forward. Her mask looked like a spider, a black widow to be exact.

"Ah~ There's one~," I chirped.

"I admit, I'm actually surprised to see you still alive, my cute little daughter," she cooed with a twisted smile.

"What a horrible mother to abandon her child.~ I'll have to cut you up~," I giggled. Urie glared at both of us, then attacked Black Widow. She brought out her kagune, a bikaku that took the form of eight tails that looked like spider legs. As they started fighting, I brought out my bikaku kagune and joined in. Urie didn't care whether he "accidentally" hit me, but he was definitely hoping to. The fight raged on for a while, Black Widow eventually hurting Urie too badly for him to continue fighting.

"Uri-kun, stay down, you baka!" I yelled at him. The idiot was still trying to fight despite his injuries, which should have left him either passed out or writhing in pain.

"As if, stupid ghoul!" Urie yelled back. I blocked one of my mother's kagune tails with my bikaku.

"I'm not letting you die! It doesn't matter that I hate you, I'll protect you just because Hai-kun said to stay with your partner, so shut up and do as I said!" I growled, bringing out my ukaku kagune and stabbing a few feathers through Black Widow. She screamed.

"You have another kagune?" Urie spat. I was suddenly back to my usual bubbly self.

"Of course.~ And I'm going to use both to protect you~," I chirped. Before he could comment on that, I'd thrown all my concentration on fighting my mother and blocked him out of my sense of perception. A few minutes later, Black Widow was unconcious and I was laughing madly while repeatedly stabbing her with my bikaku kagune. I finally broke down in tears and stopped when I felt a pair of hands grab my shoulders.

"Reika-san, she's done. You don't have to keep doing this, you can stop now," I heard the owner of those hands say. I went partially limp as I sobbed. I'd just ruthlessly continued an onslaught of attacks on someone who could not defend herself from me at the moment. I'd completely lost myself just now.