The Town Chicken Man (Shane)

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*:・゚✧*:・゚✧
(Y/N)'s POV :

Pelican town was filled with relatively welcoming people. You had Penny, with her warm smile she offered as a welcome, Gus with his steaming hot peppers he offered you a few days back.

However, there was one person who just seemed to hate the idea of glancing in your direction, and that was Shane.

Every time you said, "Good morning!" when you passed by, he'd either be rude or just scoff and brush you off.

Today though, you were determined to actually have a conversation with the purple-haired chicken man.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

There he was, walking towards Joja Mart, his work cap in hand.

You swiftly walked up to him, ready to seize your moment.

"Good morning Sh-"

"No." He shut you down.

You furrowed your eyebrows and reluctantly walked away. But you weren't gonna give up just yet.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

The cycle continued for days.

"Hey Sh-"

"Nope."

"Shane I wan-"

"Nah."

Until eventually you finally snapped; finally done with his rudeness.

"Y'know Shane last time I checked it only takes a couple of seconds to simply reply 'Good morning' to someone. So maybe next time you could put in the tiny amount of effort to say it back instead of being a jerk wad." You spat and marched off.

You didn't bother looking back at him that day, but if you had you would've noticed the chicken man staring at you in awe as you stormed away.

And somewhere deep down, he felt guilty for how he had treated you.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

It was now summer, and you decided to bring George some hot peppers as a surprise gift. You were trying to befriend Alex for a while now, and you figured you would start with George.

It had been a few days since your last interaction with Shane, and every time you saw
him you swore he looked a little more sad and a bit more grumpy.

But it wasn't your problem anymore, and you were sticking with that decision.

You spotted George sitting beside his house like usual and walked up to him.

"Hello George, I thought I would stop for a quick chat before heading to the beach!" You said with a smile towards the old man.

Without sparing you a glance, he grumbled, "Miss I'm not looking for a friend, I'm perfectly fine on my own. You best be on your way, cause I don't need help here."

You sighed and got ready to leave, but just as you were about to turn around, you heard a familiar voice.

"Hey pal, you shouldn't be so rude. She's just being friendly. And believe me, you should just accept the help. Plus, I'm the only one who can be a jerk to her."

Your heart skipped a beat as Shane stepped in between George and you.

George eventually grumbled something else under his breath and went away.

You looked back at Shane. "Thanks, but I know you don't want anything to do with me. You made that perfectly clear."

He rubbed his forehead. "Look I'm sorry about how I've been treating you. I've..." he sighed. "I've been trying to slowly wean myself off of alcohol and it's made me grumpier lately."

He glanced down at his feet.

"But I know that's not an excuse. And I just wanted to apologize. I know you probably don't want anything to do with me now so I'll just go."

He began to walk away before you yelled, "Hey, do you have any plans this weekend?"

He stopped abruptly and slowly turned to look you in the eye.

"No, why?" He asked. He figured you would just tell him you were pulling a prank on him. Why would someone kind like you want to spend your free time with him anyway?

You smiled. "I wanna show you this nice spot in the woods near that Wizard's Tower. I think it'll take your mind off some things."

He was still shocked.

"But why would you wanna spend time with a jerk like me? I'm just the town drunk, no one special (Y/N)."

You stepped closer as you pulled out a small badge from your back pocket. You held it up to him and he gasped.

The badge read, "3 Years Sober".

His voice almost cracked as he whispered, "You struggled too?"

You nodded and opened your arms out in case he wanted a hug. He hesitated, but eventually let you hug him.

"I wish you would've mentioned it before. I would've been a bit more understanding." You said softly.

He backed away from the hug and said, "I haven't mentioned it to a lot of people. I didn't want them to judge me more than they already did."

You nodded understandingly. "Well how about that trip to the woods this weekend?"

He smiled and you realized that you had never actually seen him smile before. It was small, but enough to light up a room, and it made your heart melt a little.

"I'd like that." He said.

You gently kissed him on the cheek and headed back to your farm.

It looks like Shane wasn't so bad after all.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*:・゚✧*:・゚✧