Chapter VIII

"You like him." 

"He's in a relationship, Candy." 

"You like him." 

"He's in a relationship." 

"You like him."

Finally, Annabelle sighed. "I like him but he's in a relationship."

Candy sat back, grinning smugly. Her whole apartment felt like magic was streaming through it; the chimes were louder, the candles were brighter, and the old woman herself was dressed in a sequined cloak. 

"Well, look, Annabelle," Candy was saying. "It's simple. If you like him, why don't you just tell him?" 

Annabelle gave her an exasperated look from across the table, sinking into Candy's strange little settee. "I don't want to be a home wrecker!" 

"How would you be wrecking his home?" 

"Well, I'd be getting in the way of his relationship." 

"How?" 

Annabelle frowned. "Well..." 

Candy stood suddenly, reaching across the table and placing a withered, warm hand onto the young girls' cheek. "Annabelle, we don' confess our feelings for them to realise they like us and come falling into our arms. We confess our feelings so we aren't bottling it up in here." 

She lowered her hand onto Annabelle's heart. Annabelle glanced up, eyes wide. 

"You really think I should tell Luca that I like him?" she asked softly. 

Candy shrugged. "What's the worst that happens?" 

"Our friendship ends up becoming ruined."

"If your friendship is ruined because you decided to open about how you really feel, then maybe it wasn't really a good friendship to begin with." 

Annabelle nearly staggered back at that. 

She had to admit -- the old lady had a point. 

With a warm smile, she placed her hand over Candy's. 

"Thanks, Candy." 

"You're so very welcome, dear." 

"How about you give me one last horoscope before I decide to do anything crazy?" 

The old woman closed her eyes, making a show of waving her hands ominously and feeling over Annabelle's palms. Then, snapping her eyes open, she snorted. 

"Venus and Mars are circling around to tell you to stop hanging around here. Go and talk to your man, already!" 

Annabelle laughed as Candy half-chased her out the door. 

Maybe it was strange that her closest friend was the old woman who lived next door. But, still, she had to admit -- she wouldn't have it any differently, even if she could.