009. closer than ever

for the next couple of months, clementine has been inviting denzel over to watch horror films made in the 1980s and it soon became their thing

for the next couple of months, clementine has been inviting denzel over to watch horror films made in the 1980s and it soon became their thing. denzel continued leaving notes with small gifts like chocolate, necklaces, bracelets, or rings in clementine's locker.

she enjoyed the gifts and messages he left her, according to her, it made her day by a lot.

the jewelry he'd leave in her locker caused her to start wearing more accessories, she never took off the jewelry he gave her and he found it quite nice that she'd keep it on no matter what.

the way denzel communicated stayed the same for awhile. he started getting comfortable enough to hold a decent conversation with her. he barely had to use the notebook, which to him, is a huge step.

his routine of going to the beach every afternoon also stayed the same, except, clementine would invite herself to join him in watching the sunset.

it would be sudden that she'd randomly join at times and just sit with him, but he didn't complain. he found it quite enjoyable and looked forward to going to the beach just to see her.

clementine was all denzel could think about, but not in a way where he wants to start a relationship with her. this is his first friend after all, so why wouldn't he think about her?

but, it does leave people with the wrong idea. the way clementine talks about denzel, their physical interaction, the things they do together, and just the way the two are together cause people to automatically think they're dating.

maybe they're just that close.

the two began to have other things they liked doing other than watching horror films made in 1980s and watching sunsets at the beach; they began to like rollerskating at the rollerskating rink, small diners with the 1960s theme, going on short walks, drawing and painting together at a park, and creating 'new' milkshake flavors.

currently, clementine and denzel were on their way to denzel's place. this was the first time he's ever invited people, which is why he deep cleaned his whole house.

clementine was going to stay the night since it was the weekend, which caused denzel to get nervous. he wasn't sure if she'd like the place at all or if there was even any room on his bed for the both of them to fit, but they're going to find out soon enough.

entering the house, clementine was welcomed with a wide and short hallway with sunset orange walls and floral paintings with dark oak picture frames hanging from them. in the hallway, a dark oak side table that matched the frames held a tall thin vase with a singular white rose in it and a picture standing next to it.

the picture had three people in it; denzel and two others, maybe it was his family?

"i like this picture, who are they?"

"me and my brothers." he replied casually, staring at the picture with a sad look in his eyes.

"are you okay?"

"hm? i'm fine."

there was definitely some sort of story, but when he's comfortable enough, he'll tell clementine about it.

as clementine explored the house, she felt something rub onto her leg.

"saturn!" denzel cheered. he scooped the creature into his arms, cradling it.

a small gray kitten sat in his arms, it's eyes were the shade of sage.

"your cat is so pretty! can i hold them?" clementine asked, making eye contact with denzel.

"sure, but be careful, he's still a kitten." he replied, gently transferring the kitten to her arms. once the gray cat was in clementine's arms, denzel made his way to his room with clementine following him.

his room had gray walls with vinyls and drawings hanging from them. his bed was in the corner of the room that had a metal bed frame that was painted black and fairy lights that wrapped around the frame, the bed itself had navy blue covers with two stuffed animals on it; a small bear and a soft bee plush.

he had a black desk with a matching bookshelf full of romance and thriller books hanging above it, the desk had notebooks, a cup of pens and pencils, and small stacks of papers full of drawings.

a cat tree sat in the corner of the room next to a large bean bag that had two small pillows and a large fluffy blanket.

a keyboard was set in front of the window, which seemed to be closed often, the blinds were shut with transparent curtains hanging over it.

"is your window always closed?" clementine asked, gently placing saturn onto his bed.

"no. i open it to look at the sunset sometimes." he replied, shrugging.

"makes sense... and your keyboard, you play?"

"obviously," denzel laughed, "but i haven't played in awhile."

"you should play me something."

"oh, god no, i'm a little rusty."

"it's okay, you can try something. but no pressure, okay? it's okay if you don't want to."

denzel smiled softly before sitting on the stool that was set in front of his keyboard, hovering his fingers over the keys. he closed his eyes, letting his fingers dance around the keyboard as he lets himself feel the music.

it sounded beautiful, the way he played looked beautiful, this whole moment was beautiful.

just as beautiful as the sunset that evening.