Chapter 11 [part 1]

I had never imagined that I would get to know more Kingdoms than my own.

The people of Bieno did not earn enough coin to indulge in traveling the world in wagons or ships. We didn't get much further than we knew.

But there I was, in the Kingdom of Anapos, on my way to one of their land villages. I wondered what it would be like to live underwater without fear of drowning in the deep.

Just as Caelus had stated, in a few minutes we came upon a village. It was small and discreet, just a few houses made of rock and sand and a few stalls that, by that time, were closed.

'Let me do the talking and take this,' he said offering me his mask.

'Why do you want me to wear this?'

'Mermaids love secrets almost as much as they love gossip. Surely by now everyone knows what the princess of Crescendo looks like and I assure you that by tomorrow all the Kingdoms will know that she is traveling without protocols and without guards.'

I took the mask and put it on without thinking.

It covered my entire face, except for my eyes. I didn't want to know what he wore it for, but it was identical to the one Lewis, one of Trevor's henchmen, had worn.

Only a few people were left on the streets, who for the most part ignored our presence, and those who didn't, simply watched us pass by without caring.

We arrived at a residence from which hung a wooden sign with the inscription: Seinn.

'I told you, they're not very creative.'

As we entered, I could only see a small desk with a woman with almost gray hair, which still showed a bit of blonde, taking notes in a red notebook.
Without looking up from the pages, she asked us:

'Welcome to the Seinn, the only inn close to the see. Night or week?'

'Night Gladys, always just one night,' Caelus answered her and that did make her pay attention to us.

'Look at that, the Lord of Darkness in the flesh, I thought I would never see you again after the pearl incident.'

Caelus rested one arm on the desk and crossed one foot in front of the other.

'No one could prove it was me, if there's no proof, there's no one to blame, right?'

I wanted to say a thing or two about it, but I respected his request for silence. In truth, he was at an advantage when it came to the Kingdoms. He knew a lot more than I did, and even more importantly, he had traveled through them for the most part.

In the face of ignorance, sometimes silence is the smartest answer.

The lady began to laugh, remembering the "incident" that only the two of them understood the meaning of.

Noticing my presence, Gladys decided to continue with her duty.

'One room only, correct?'

I froze.

I knew what she must be thinking about the two of us and it really made me sick to my stomach.

I thought Caelus would make the situation clear, that we needed two rooms, because it was clear I didn't want to spend the night with him.

'Do you know me or what?'

I was about to say something, when Caelus grabbed my arm and moved me towards the hallway on the right side.

'The back room is always yours honey,' Gladys commented to him smiling, I don't know if it was because of the memories she must have had of him at her inn or for what was happening right then.