Chapter 12 [part 1]

Something felt wrong.

It wasn't just the feeling of falling into an immense void.

There was something else that I couldn't explain. A foreboding crept into my gut as I fell and fell through a portal that never seemed to end.

I could feel a sigh leave my body, before impacting the ground.

My back screamed as I hit the ground, scattering barren earth around me.

I opened my eyes, which I kept closed, and could only see clouds above me.

'I suspect the mermaids didn't like us very much, they gave us quite a beating with their private little ride.'

I can't believe I'm saying this, but hearing Caelus so lucid made me feel good. It meant that we had both survived, that nothing had happened to us, and that at least someone would know where we were.

'Oh your Majesty, come out of the dust, it doesn't suit you,' he held out his hand, which I ventured to take.

I brushed the remnants of dirt off me, and also did so for my bag, which had somewhat camouflaged a worse blow.

However, my bones were already groaning from the impact.

'Where are we?' I asked him and noticed that he had a bit of dirt on his cheek. Without thinking I brushed it off and he tensed as if I had tried to kill him. I couldn't repel him from such contact, could I?

He took a step back and was back to his usual self.

'Can't you tell? Cloudy skies, arid land and unbearable wind. Nothing yet?'

'Eurus?'

'Welcome to the most entertaining Kingdom of all, the one you always want to come to, again and again.'

 I rolled my eyes

I rolled my eyes.

'Don't be like that.'

'What? It's true. It's so much fun to be chased by men with wings every step you take.'

The only thing I knew about this Kingdom was that it was the one that provided us with power. And something about windmills, but nothing more than that.

'You really have no idea about anything? I can't wrap my head around it.'

'The number of books about other Kingdoms was... let me think, oh yes one. Does that make it any clearer to you? I spent my entire life reading, but never about what really mattered. Do you want to know how many kinds of flowers there are in the world? I can tell you even though I've only seen maybe five. Do you want to know the parts of your precious ship? I know them, but I've never been on one until... well you know.'

'Your story never ceases to depress me, you should write a book about all your sorrows princess.'

He started walking off in a direction with an assurance I could do nothing but mimic. I would follow him even if I didn't know where he was taking me.