C H A P T E R 6 - T H E F L A S H B A C K

Ok yes welcome

I just realized I haven't posted an actual chapter on this book since February and now it's the end of May so ngl I feel pretty bad😬

I had an idea on how to write something on this story without actually needing a bunch of ideas and an actual idea on how this story is gonna go

A ✨GemXAna cave flashback✨

Also!!!

1.6K reads?!?! Thank you so much, it really means a lot that that many people wanted to read the shit that my depressed little gay brain came up with :)

Anyways...

 have fun reading whatever this ends up being, it's a lot longer than I expected.
(that's what she said)

Gem's POV

*Flashback - the day after DOTD ends*

I can't do this anymore.

I can't pretend I'm okay after everything that has happened in the past 1-2 weeks. Most of the group is getting help, and I was told I should try to get help, but I can't. I'm supposed to be the highest ranking student, only being outranked by Ana because of her ancestry, and I'm expected to be strong. Brave. A leader. 

But I can't be, because I can't even deal with my emotions.

Sure, I suffered since the destruction of Harding-Pencroft, but it was nowhere near what Ana had to go through. What with Dev's betrayal, the all the new information, all the death and our newfound knowledge of alt-tech, she suffered so much worse than any of the rest of us. Not to mention the poisoned kidnapping. And the time she got stabbed underwater (Trauma much?).

Yet she was fine. Hurting, but she had made her peace with what happened. 

So why couldn't I?

Ana's POV

I was worried about Gem.

He honestly seemed to be taking Dev's betrayal worse than I had. I felt like he genuinely knew my own brother better than I did.

I think a big part of him acting like that is Dev was a mentor and role model for Gem, the perfect Shark house leader, but then he helps the enemy kill the roughly 150 people who were in the school building with us.

The only times I ever got to see Dev were our morning dives and on weekends when we weren't busy.

===============================================

Over the past two years, I had slowly stopped hating Gem after the way he spoken to Nelinha, and since the destruction of HP I had come to see him in a whole new light. He was kind and caring, but he was also suffering and struggling to keep it together for our classmates. Gem went through everything the rest of us did, minus the ability to react and show emotions around anyone but me, who he didn't anyways because my special ancestor put me at a higher rank than he was.

So, I figured I should find Gem something or somewhere he could express himself without worrying about letting anyone down. We both understood how important it was to keep up morale.

I though back to everything I had done with Gem that he seemed happy or calm doing since HP was destroyed. I drew a blank. We had all been extremely stressed, but most of the others had something to do to busy themselves or unwind. Gem hadn't been able to show weakness.

Then, I remembered one thing Gem and I had loved doing, despite all the situations we had been in while doing it.

The alt-tech dive suits.