four

There will forever be just two words that come to this author's mind the morning after any good party, "shock" and "delight." Well, dear reader, the scandalous accounts from last night's soiree at Vauxhall are quite shocking and delightful indeed. Emerging, phoenix-like from the ashes of irrelevance, is one Miss Daphne Bridgerton. The illustrious debutante was seen dancing not once, but twice with the season's most eligible and most uncatchable rake, the Duke of Hastings.

Apparently, Val's desire to attend social events does not extend to promenading in the park. Instead, I find myself sitting on a bench beside Lady Danbury and Lady Bridgerton. They are watching Daphne and the duke walk with one another. They seem to think that Daphne and the duke are a match made in heaven.

"He is smiling," Lady Danbury says. "The duke rarely smiles."

"Daphne has an excellent sense of humor," Lady Bridgerton states.

"She will need it," Lady Danbury assures. "Life as a duchess will have many demands. Hosting balls, greeting foreign dignitaries... Daphne will not merely be in society. She will be leading it."

"I have prepared her quite well, Lady Danbury," Lady Bridgerton assures.

Both women laugh happily. I think they are really hoping for Daphne and the duke to say they are already engaged.

"What about you, Lady Mercy?" Lady Bridgerton asks. I look at her curiously. "Are there any gentlemen who have caught your eye?"

I laugh nervously. "Maybe one or two."

"Lady Mercy is in no rush to find a husband you see," Lady Danbury says. "She insists on finding someone she loves. Not someone to marry in some business transaction."

Lady Bridgerton smiles. "You must simply marry the man who feels like your dearest friend."

I look at her curiously. "However will I know if the man is my dearest friend?"

"You must simply trust yourself to know," Lady Bridgerton tells me.

As I walk past the study Val calls out to me. I smile slightly as I stand in the doorway.

"How was promenading?" Val asks. "Fall in love with anyone?"

"No," I tell him. "Not yet."

"The benefits of being a duke," Val tells me. "When I am finally ready to marry, all I must do is say it out loud and the eligible young ladies will come to me."

"Charming, Brother," I tell him. "Truly. I shall hope for whoever this girl might be, she can handle your title induced big headedness."

Val laughs. "Any mama in the ton would be shoving her daughter towards me to secure a simple dance."

"And you are to have say in who I marry?" I ask.

"I will simply hope you find someone unlike me," Val states.

"I hope I do as well," I tell him before leaving.

I sit with Daphne and her family in their parlor. With Lady Danbury and Val busy with their own lives I get lonely. When I spend the morning with Daphne and her family it makes me feel included. A little less lonely.

"Two dances? With a duke?" Hyacinth asks.

"He was quite taken with your sister, Hyacinth. The entire party was, for that matter. All eyes were on Daphne," Lady Bridgerton tells her. She holds a plate out to Daphne. "At least enjoy some toast, dearest."

"I am not hungry, Mama," Daphne tells her.

"Are you certain the entire party was not simply eyeing a tear in her dress?" Colin offers.