eleven

Lady Danbury was right. All it took was for Daphne and the duke to make their plea to Her Majesty herself and they were able to secure their marriage license.

I smile at Daphne as I manage to track her down at the wedding breakfast. "It was such a beautiful wedding, Daph. Congratulations."

Daphne grabs my hands in hers. "Thank you, Mercy. For everything."

I look at her curiously. "Everything?"

"For being my very closest friend since you moved to London. I cannot imagine we will not be spending our mornings together in the drawing room. Talking out our suitors and all of our plans for the future," Daphne tells me.

"You may be moving into Clyvedon, but you will still make trips back into town," I assure her. "You will simply have to come round to Lady Danbury's drawing room."

Daphne wraps me into a hug. "I will miss you."

"I will miss you more," I assure.

I stand with Val. I think Daphne's wedding has been the only social event he has been excited for this season. And I think it is only because he knows there will be exquisite food and cake.

"I always knew Daphne would marry before you," Val says. I give him a look. "I'm joking... Mostly."

"And I have comfort in knowing I will marry before you," I tell him.

"That I do not doubt," Val assures me. "You may even be able to secure yourself a prince now that Daphne has wed the duke."

"Lady Danbury told me the same thing," I tell him. "She thinks that I would make a marvelous princess." I laugh. "I think she simply wants me to marry him because Daphne did not."

"You don't want to marry a prince?" Val asks.

I shake my head. "I thought about it but no. I would never be able to live anywhere other than London or Scotland. You know that."

"Too bad," Val says. "I was hoping to move into your castle." He looks over my shoulder. "Oh no."

Before I can say anything, Val is gone, and Lady Danbury is beside me.

"Lady Danbury," I greet.

"Lady Mercy. To see you without a Bridgerton by your side, a rare sight indeed," Lady Danbury remarks.

I laugh. "Well, I do think they are all rather busy seeing as how this is Daphne's wedding breakfast."

"Yes," Lady Danbury says. "But I do see a certain Mr Bridgerton looking your way."

I turn and see Benedict looking at me. I smile slightly.

"I... We are friends, Lady Danbury," I tell her.

Lady Danbury nods. "I see. And your friendship also extends to Lord Bridgerton."

"I think my friendship extends to the whole Bridgerton family," I tell her.

"I am sure," Lady Bridgerton says. "Though I do think it extends closer to some than others."

Eloise walks over towards us. "Lady Danbury you are Lady Whistledown." I look at her in shock. "Yes, you certainly enjoy spreading secrets, do you not?"

"Dear child, have you lost your wits? Everyone enjoys secrets. Otherwise, why would Lady Whistledown's paper be so successful? I am flattered by your accusation, but it is simply not true. Though, when you unmask the writer, do let me know," Lady Danbury tells her. She turns to me. "And I will see you at home."

"I see we are playing detective now Eloise. Thought I thought you would know better than to go around accusing people in public. It will not get you anywhere," I tease.