Chapter 9 - Gingerbread Cookies

Junior year (College)

"Rosie, it's not going to fit."

Roseanne snorts loudly. "That's what she said."

Jennie rolls her eyes. "I'm serious. And it's like, way too expensive."

They stand side by side, staring at the tree in front of them. It was Roseanne's idea to go out and get a Christmas tree for their tiny college apartment this year, and Jennie has been against it since the beginning. It's just not logical. Their apartment is too small. Where will it go? What will they do with it when it's dying?

"Snickers, where is your Christmas spirit? Did it die along with the rest of your soul?"

"I can have Christmas spirit and still think logically about things," Jennie says emotionlessly. "Also, I'm fucking freezing."

The Christmas tree farm is located about an hour outside of town, where the snow is much heavier. Roseanne is practically swimming in layers of clothing. The only thing visible is the red tip of her nose and a small strip of her eyes. Because Jennie is normal, she doesn't own four winter coats; and it turns out that maybe Roseanne was on to something. Because Jennie's black hat and gray puffy coat are nothing against the bitter cold air.

"Also how are we going to even get it home? A taxi drove us here, remember? We don't have a car to tie it to."

Roseanne shrugs. "Tie it to the taxi? I don't know! We'll figure it out. Just help me pick one." She grabs Jennie's shoulders, shaking her. "Come on! This is supposed to be fun, you wet blanket!"

Jennie sighs, a small smile making its way into her face. "Okay. Fine. But this one is too fat."

Roseanne gasps, turning to the tree and patting it. "She didn't mean it, tree. You are beautiful just the way you are."

"I'm leaving." Jennie deadpans.

Roseanne laughs. "Okay, okay I'm sorry. What about that one?" She points to a smaller tree next to Jennie.

"It's like...missing spots. Look it's all bunchy at the bottom." Her nose wrinkles. Roseanne blinks at her.

"Girl. It's a tree."

"You told me to help you decide! I'm just giving my opinion."

Roseanne chuckles. "Your opinion is exhausting ." She drones. "But okay. Let's just keep looking then."

Jennie deliberately leads them to the section of the farm with the extremely small trees. Roseanne rolls her eyes, but doesn't object. The snow on the ground is freshly fallen; still fluffy and light. The air smells like pine and firewood. Jennie actually loves places like this. She loves the outdoors. College hasn't really allowed for relaxing time in the fresh air, so going out like this to far away locations is comforting and refreshing.

"What 'bout this one?" Roseanne asks, pointing to a small, skinny tree.

Jennie frowns. "It doesn't...look jolly."

Roseanne sighs. "That one?" She points to another shorter tree.

"Lopsided."

"I'm going to smack you," Roseanne says, groaning. "Why are you so picky?"

"I'm not picky! I just know what I want."

"Which is what?"

Jennie hums, looking around. "It's got to have a certain...look..." Her eyes fall on a small, well-proportioned tree behind Roseanne. "Bingo."

Roseanne raises an eyebrow, turning around and following Jennie's line of sight. "That one? It's so small!"

"Have you forgotten what our apartment looks like?" Jennie asks incredulously. "It'll look huge once it's in there."