#4

Kim

"Yeah, yeah, gimme a sec," I muttered, rolling my eyes. Kim was impatience incarnate, I swear.

I checked myself over in the mirror, finally somewhat satisfied with the girl who stared back at me, and kissed my reflection, before grabbing my purse and hurrying out the door. I felt like I was in an anime.

"Hey, Kim-wow, you look great!"

"Haha, thanks, you too," she said, grinning. So unabashed. How do you flatter someone like that? Rocket came out to greet us, and of course she looked exceptional. I smiled weakly at my sister; just once I'd like to go out and not be upstaged by her. Just once. I didn't hate Rocket or anything stupid like that- I loved her more than anyone- but sometimes she really got on my nerves, what with the being attractive and all.

It didn't help that I was wearing jeans and she was wearing a dress that I wouldn't have been surprised to learn was designer.

I know it wasn't much, but I liked dressing casual, and in red of all colours. Red was my colour, if my hair didn't make that obvious.

We all went out to Kim's car, and drove down to the concert. Luckily mom was still at work (she "worked" late) so she wouldn't notice we were gone.

We were bombarded at the door by skinny girls in oversized band shirts, holding boxes of brightly coloured masquerade masks and various shirts and posters. "Themed," one of them said, like I had asked. She had braces. "Mostly everyone's wearing them, I'd recommend it." I wasn't sure if she was talking about the shirts or the masks, but, since I was already wearing a Green Day shirt, I went with the mask and bought a cheap one with an obnoxious amount of glitter.

We wandered in, and walked around for a while, trying to decide where we could sit. We finally decided on going outside, and hung out around the stage. It was close to sunset, and the sky was a dark orange, the sun slowly approaching the horizon. I felt sick with both excitement and the nervousness of being in such a crowded place. I wanted to find somewhere to purchase alcohol, but I'd left my fake ID at home and I hated having to ask my baby sister to help me out.

me majority were wearing masks, the feeling almost unnerving. Anonymity everywhere, lithe bodies and colourful jeans. No names. It was a well known ritual, like one night stands only in the form of dancing, moving your body against a strangers and feeling the music more than you heard it. It had been way too long since I'd been to one of these things. I felt ignited, my skin buzzing gently.

"Hey guys, I'm just gonna go get some drinks, you want?" Of course that was Rocket.

I shook my head. "I'm gonna go mingle," Kim chirped. I couldn't even see Damien anymore, but I liked to think that he was asking some poor highschool graduate for her number. "Be back in five, k?"

I nodded. As soon as they were all gone, I went back to wandering. Fuck the system, I was a rebel. It would probably be at least an hour before anyone started playing, so I wandered all the way to the back hills, where I could watch the people and hide in the shades of the trees. Our place was set up right in front of the stage already, so we wouldn't lose it or anything. I finally settled for a nice, obscure grassy hill in the shade of a particularly twisted tree, and sat down, wrapping my arms around my legs and taking out my iPod.

****