𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟰

Taehyung

I held Y/n the rest of the way to the penthouse, afraid that she might fling herself out of the door next. When she had started to fall, I had felt that sharp tug in my gut to save her, to protect her at all costs. No matter what she had done to me, how she had betrayed me, she was still my other half.

She was my wife, and I had seen life without her. It wasn't a life I wanted any longer.

I wanted her in my life.

The helicopter touched down, and I allowed Y/n to pull away, ignoring the probing stare of Jungkook as she did so. He had seen the sheer terror on my face. He likely knew what I was thinking.

The regret I had. "Open the fucking door," I growled at him as Y/n grabbed her bag.

Jungkook snorted but did as I asked and helped my wife down, the cold air bleeding through my clothing as I did the same. I grabbed her arm before she could hurry to the elevator, allowing Jungkook to go ahead of us. "Y/n," I started, forcing her to look at me. "The first one is always the hardest."

She shuddered in my grasp, and I fought the urge to take her into my arms again. "That will be the last, Taehyung. I didn't do it for you. I did it for the sake of my children."

"Our children," I reminded her gently. I wasn't pissed that she conveniently left me out of her words. After everything I had done, she had every right to do so. "Now you understand why I do the things I do. It's for the sake of our family."

"Are you sure, Taehyung?" she asked softly, her eyes searching mine. "Are you sure that's who you do it for?"

I let her go then, raking a hand through my hair. Of course it was. Everything I did was for the sake of my family.

Jungkook held the elevator door open for me, and I stepped inside, noting how Y/n's hands shook. I still remembered my first kill, a memory that never left me, reminding me how it all got started. My father had forced my hand, though I was glad it had been before her parents.

The gun felt warm in my hand as I walked up the stairs, knowing that my father was right behind me. Tonight, I was in charge, giving me a glimpse of what my life would be like once I stepped up to be the don.

Which meant I had to get used to nights like this.

Sweat ran down my back under my coat, but I didn't show any ounce of discomfort on my face, maintaining my cool profile. It was the first rule of a don: never show emotion. I could deal with the emotion later, when I was alone, but for right now, I compartmentalised it, shoving it deep down into a dark hole.

The hallway was clear when I reached the top of the stairs, and I kept my gun at my side, knowing that there were innocent people in this apartment building. It shouldn't be a concern of mine. Innocent people died all the time, but I wasn't about to be the one to put the bullet through their brains if I could help it.

I found the door and, instead of knocking, raised my boot and kicked it in, the weak locks popping against the force. A man was just getting off the couch, reaching for the gun on the table as I levelled mine and fired one shot out of the silencer, watching as the guy's head jerked back. He fell onto the couch, and I drew in a deep breath, adrenaline coursing through my body.

I had done it. I had made my first kill.

"Well done, son," my father said, clamping a hand on my shoulder. "Well done."

I shook out of the memory as the doors opened and Y/n was the first one out, her steps quick as she hurried down the hall. I went after her, knowing what panic she must feel at seeing her kids. "Y/n, wait," I said.