5

RIVER GOT A job at the movie theater downtown on Main Street. It's one of those old theaters that play matinees, and it's never busy unless the occasional Instagram girls come in to get a cute photo op. Mainly it's just old couples that come out for date night or moms with children that would prefer to be alone in case they act out rather than take them to the more popular and updated one in North Hills.

He's only been working here for two weeks, he said, but somehow he talked me into coming down to visit. It's the weekend, so I'm off duty with my mom. I didn't have any excuse as to why I couldn't come, and he knew that. He knows I do nothing but sit at home.

River is standing by the popcorn machine in a full-blown uniform, and hiding my smile is useless. He looks ridiculous with a vest and bow tie. It's definitely not his usual band t-shirt and beanie.

"Well," I say, and he gives me a death glare before I can roast him.

"It's money," he replies to defend himself. "I need it for college, okay?"

Hopping up onto the barstool at the counter, I watch as he starts the popcorn machine. In seconds, it smells like nothing but buttery goodness.

"I said nothing," I hum.

"You didn't need to, Hazel. It's written all over your face."

To change the subject, I ask him something else until I see a girl round the corner. She's dressed in the same uniform, but somehow she makes it look cute. Long black braids, bright green eyes, and a body that's so petite and tiny. She's gorgeous.

 She grins at me. "Hi! I'm Joy."

I analyze the extra pep in her step, narrowing my eyes at how she's obnoxiously chewing her gum. With one finger, she wraps a lock of her hair around it, twirling it around and around.

"Hi," I say dryly. "I'm Hazel."

"Ohmigod, that's soooo pretty," she drawls, and River is trying not to laugh. I've gotten to know him well enough by now to realize that when his jaw does that twitching thing, he's fighting hard to keep from smiling.

"Thanks," I say, and then I watch Joy put her hand on River's arm.

"Thanks so much for starting the popcorn," she gushes. "You're the best, Riv."

Riv?

I cringe at the flirtation, watching as she flips her braids over her shoulder before she heads back to the ticket booth. A prickling sensation courses through my body, and despite my efforts, I can't get it to go away.

Why is this bothering me? River and I haven't known each other that long, and it's not like we've done anything romantic. Hell, I've been fighting him that we're even friends. And Joy is exactly like him. She's friendly and bubbly, and it seems as if she makes friends easily, too. He'd be better off with her anyway.