Chapter 8

Contains subjects like violence and domestic abuse.

Allies POV

I stared at my reflection in the mirror and was fairly happy with what I saw.

Tonight, Finn and I were accompanying his parents to a charity event. Finn's dad had been nominated to cut the ribbon to commence the opening of a new youth centre in central London. Finn had been talking about it for ages because it was his and his fathers company that had funded it and he was so excited. It was something he had been working hard on and although he was disappointed that his father was getting the praise for the work done, he was happy to be in attendance and I was immensely proud of him.

I chose an elegant silk black dress that was figure hugging but modest. I was confident in my figure. My mother always told me my hips were too wide and my shoulders were too broad but over the years, I'd diminished my insecurities and become happy within myself. Finn helped with this too, showering me with compliments and affection to the point I had no choice but to believe him eventually. The dress had thin straps and went down to my ankles and I paired it with silver heels that fastened with a strap around my ankle. Makeup was never really something I cared for but tonight I made an exception and had attempted to do a slight smoky look around my eyes and put my hair into a low bun.

"You look beautiful," I heard Finn say from the doorway. Turning to look at him, I could honestly say he scrubbed up well too. I always thought he looked handsome in his work suits but tonight he wore a tuxedo and a black bow tie.

"Wow, aren't you a looker," I reply, walking over to meet him in the doorway. I fiddled with his bow tie to straighten it, leaning into him. His hands clasped behind my lower back to press me against him and he leant down to leave a small kiss on my forehead.

"You excited?" I asked looking up at him. He exhaled slightly.

"I am but you know it's just going to be a night of my dad showing us off."

"And showing us up," I giggled knowing his dad would make the night about him and him only. His dad was great to me but there was no doubt that he was a bit of a braggart. The narcissistic part of his personality came out whenever he was in the company of other businessmen or big names and it really got under Finns skin.

Finn laughed in response and nodded.

"How could he show you up. Look at you, you look incredible."

He pushes me back slightly so he can look at me fully. I curtsy a little and do a small twirl to show off the dress I had chosen.

"You're too kind to me, Finn Ackers," I smile leaning back into him and giving him a quick peck.

He'd been at anger management therapy today. I wanted to ask how it was even though I knew how he'd react. He had opened up once that morning we were both lying in bed weeks ago but since then, he's become closed off again. I decided to go ahead and ask anyway due to him seemingly being in a good mood.

"How was therapy today?"

There was a bit of a pause before he spoke again although I could feel his body go stiff against me.

"Was fine. The same. Come on, the car will be here soon."

He broke out of my embrace and headed out the room and down the stairs. I wasn't shocked but I was disappointed. I don't know why he felt he couldn't talk to me about it. It was a good thing for us and I could see how much he'd changed already. Why wasn't he proud of that?

I took one quick glance in the mirror again before grabbing my clutch and following him downstairs.

***************************************