Chapter 4 - The Makeover

That night I slept well in the Capital bed. I've never been one to have events affect my sleep. Sleep is like an escape from terrible reality, why let events ruin your escape time too. I've only had nightmares once, and it was after my mom passed. Weirdly unrelated nightmares, but I think the turmoil in my waking hours happened to seep into my unconscious.

Today, the train arrived at the Capital. I changed into a similar sea-like blue-green T-shirt, like last night, along with soft black leggings and my mom's bracelet. I decide to leave my hair down in the nice uniform curls that my hair has decided to place itself in, although a bit messed up after sleeping. Nothing a few combs with my fingers can't fix.

Walking out to the common area, I am hit with a sweet smell that is heavenly. Breakfast. The table is filled with scrambled eggs, and meat coated in a maple colored oil cut in strips. That's bacon, and I've only had it once. Every once in a while the butcher gets a hold of something other than fish and my dad and I got some for my birthday one time. It was to die for, although the circumstances of this taste seem like I might. Dark, but true.

"Sit down and eat, Jennifer," exclaims Athyla from the table. It's clear that she is surprised that I'm up so early. I'm a fisher...woman, I don't know what she expected. Maddock is nowhere to be seen, however. Of course, he's a market kid, they don't open shops until nine most mornings.

"You can call me Jenny or Jen...if you want. I don't usually go by Jennifer," I say, sitting. I'm in a good mood this morning, I think. As good a mood as I can be in, but one that leaves me to tolerate Athyla's terrible accent and newly bright purple hair. Wig. It's clearly a wig now. The purple is not as abhorred by me as the yellow, I'll give her that.

"Oh, okay Jenny. You seem more excited for the games this morning. That's great! Enthusiasm goes a long way with Capital audiences. It shows you're not afraid," she says. It's actually valuable advice, whether she knows it or not. I suppose that is why Finnick had the sponsors to get such an incredible gift of his trident. Well, that and he's pretty.

Everyone begins eating, and Athyla goes off to retrieve Maddock from his room, a bit irritated. He wanders out, unkempt and tired-looking.

It's not a good look.

Finnick speaks up, "Eat quickly and then change, you're not gonna make a great impression like that. The Capital is going to see you through the train windows on the way in. Better fix your hair. Actually, fix your everything," Maddock scowls.

"Fine, you jerk," he grumbles, taking his seat.

"That includes your attitude, big guy," Finnick adds. I almost giggle, but hold it together. It's funny how Maddock can give up on living so fast and yet have the nerve to talk that way. He has no workable angle with the Capital other than 'nice guy' and he's even blowing that.

When everyone is done eating, Athyla explains that we're going to see our prep team for the tribute parade this afternoon. I assume this means a terrible makeover. I was right, it seems, as Athyla begins to go into detail about it.

"Oh it's just lovely! You'll look dazzling by the end of it. A free full body polish, you'll have the softest skin of anybody else in the Capital! You'll be all glittery and beautiful! Maddock you'll be dashing and ready to get the attention of the sponsors. I'm so excited to see you both!"

Glitter. No. No glitter. That's not lovely, that's terrible. Glitter never leaves. Everyone knows that. And a full body polish sounds like they're about to rub off every callous that I have and leave me with a useless clean slate. I'd rather look disgusting and be useful than be transformed into a useless little flower. I'm going into the Hunger Games, not a stupid Capital pageant.

"Just don't resist and it'll be fine," Finnick says, and Mags nods.

"I'm probably overthinking it, but 'full body polish' sounds like it's going to get rid of every callous I have, and I sorta kinda need those to fight?" I question nervously.

"Nah, you'll be fine. They leave that stuff alone enough at least. Maybe a little sensitive but you'll fight just fine, don't worry. I've been through it numerous times and can throw a trident all the same," Finnick assures. I nod, satisfied for now. The glitter I can handle, as long as they leave my advantages alone.

We all finish breakfast and Athyla urges Maddock to go get changed and have a shower to fix his major bedhead. He must not have slept as soundly as I did.

By the time he is finished in the shower, Athyla stands and looks at the time. She alerts the group that we have about five minutes before we pass through Capital crowds and into the city, where we'll meet our prep teams.

When the time comes, I'm startled. The Capital people are holding signs with my name, and Maddock's too. They are cheering and whistling. I smile. A bit of showmanship never hurt anybody. Maddock follows suit, and we wave through the window. It's weird. I wish I couldn't be seen, but at the same time, I'm compelled to stand at the window by more than just the thought of sponsors. I'm so mad at the Capital for hosting the games every year, but I somehow can't be mad at these people. They look like normal people who have all been caught up in the government's ruse for too long now.

We finally passed the crowds completely. I know we stood there for minutes, but it feels like just seconds have passed. I put my arms down and my smile drops into a frown mimicking my confused thoughts.

When I come to my senses, the train door is opening and Athyla steps out first, calling for us to follow. I rip my eyes from the window and towards the outside where she stands.

Meeting my prep team is strange. Besides Athyla and the avoxes I caught darting around the room, these are the only Capital people I've seen up close. They introduce themselves to be Lenna, Draken, and Filloy. Lenna, a short woman with forest green curls and tattoos painting her caramel skin, gives me a smile and shakes my hand. She is bubbly, with a smile that feels genuine. Draken is colder, more calculated and quiet. He is tall and lean, pale with red eyes and black hair. He looks snake-like, and speaks that way too with a split tongue resembling that of the serpent he looks to be. Filloy is a short man with light-blue toned skin and dark blue lips and eyes. He looks like he is from a badly portrayed scene of under the sea. He is strange but friendly.

The crew tells me to strip off my clothes and get on the table they've led me to. It's a bit uncomfortable, but they look at me as if I am a doll to work with, not a naked person.

I was right about dreading this process though, their first step is to rinse me down, but then they proceed to wax all the hair off my body strip by strip. I've never had a problem with my body hair, so why do they? It's not even like I look all that hairy, I have light body hair. I'm going to miss that warmth in the arena if I end up in the situation most end up in. Cold nights make for bad sleep and bad health. No thanks.

When it's all done, they take me to meet my stylist, Brachia. She looks the most like a normal person. She has glass-like teal eyes and dark hair, her expression holding an intelligence that makes it seem as if she has all the answers. She greets me politely but seriously, like the games are no joke. I feel the same way and appreciate her resolve.

"I don't want any fish this year. I'm new and sick of it, and it isn't helping four's reputation in the parade. So, I've got a twist I think you and Maddock will be happy with," she says.

I like the sound of that, Brachia.

⚓︎