The Next Step

For the first time since I lost our bet Ben woke up before me. I could feel him moving in our bed, trying to be subtle so that he wouldn't wake me. I opened my eyes and saw him slipping out of bed, back facing me. His movements were exceedingly slow and I couldn't help but to giggle a bit at the strange sight. "I'm sorry, I tried to avoid waking you." He apologized when he heard me.

"It's fine, it's only fair that you wake me up after the number of times I woke you up." I said.

"Still, it's pretty early. I was just sneaking to the bathroom then I was planning on coming back for a little more sleep." He told me.

"It's not that early, I think I normally wake up around now anyway." I reassured him.

"Wow, really? This early?" He asked in surprise.

"Yeah, I often wait as long as I can before moving so that I don't wake you before the sun is up." I explain. It had been a long time since I had ever slept as late as he did, it was practically 7am before he started moving most days.

"Oh yeah, I've never asked but how much sleep do fairies normally get?" Ben asked.

"Well that question doesn't really have an answer, since just like with humans and wolves individuals have wide differences in their answer. I usually aim for fours hours a night, but I can go for about three days with no sleep without any issue. If I do stay up that late then I like to try and get more sleep though, so then I aim for eight hours." I told him.

"That's... not a lot of sleep. You've been staying in bed for about the same amount of time as me every day, is that causing you problems?" Ben asked me.

"Not really, I practice my meditation with whatever time I'm not sleeping. I've just been lazy lately and getting a bit of extra sleep though, I think it helps Midnight to get closer to the amount of sleep that you would. It doesn't have any negative effect either for me to get the extra sleep." I waved off his concerns.

"If you're sure then. You can always get up if you want to though, even if you were to wake me up super early I can always go back to sleep." Ben offered.

"I'll keep that in mind, but I doubt I'll need to." I accepted his offer. I got out of bed myself and turned to leave the room.

"Are you getting up for the day?" Ben asked me.

"Yeah, it's around the time I would anyway. I also have to use the restroom now too." I answered.

"Oh, don't you want to use this one?" He asked, pointing at the master bathroom door by him.

"You said you got up to use the bathroom so I assumed you would want to use the closest one. I can go to the other one down the hall." I told him before continuing to walk out of the room.

"Next time you can have the close one then!" Ben called out to me as I left. I made my way to the spare room's bathroom that I had been using during most of my time since coming here. Once I was done I when downstairs to get a snack, assuming that Ben went back to bed it would be too early for breakfast. Once I was on the ground floor of the house I heard the water running upstairs and the sound of Ben slowly making his way to the stairs. I waited for him in the kitchen and after a few moments he appeared.

"Don't you want to go back to sleep?" I asked him once he was in view.

"Naw, if you're up we might as well start breakfast. I'm not sure what you have planned for today but I'm sure that a full stomach will help." Ben shrugged as he spoke.

"I think you just want to spend time with me." I teased him and stuck my tongue out at him. He clutched his chest in mock surprise.

"Why, I would never." He joked back with me.