11. Neil's Vulnerability

Deciding to wait for him, Mini was pacing here and there in the living room. It was almost noon and there was no sign of him. She was already anxious and all sort of fears clouded her mind. And then, the doorbell rang. She literally ran all way through the door and opened it. Her anxiousness took a pause as she saw him standing there, safe and sound, but as soon as she saw his red eyes and dull face, the anxiousness resurfaced. She wanted to ask him about this, about his sudden disappearance and the pain he was going through. But she knew he won't disclose all of that so easily, being the most prominent kind of stubborn. But she, being no less, decided to talk to him. As he walked inside the house, she silently followed him. He entered inside his room and sat on the bed, picking up his phone. He noticed that she had called him.

Neil: You...

Mini: Yes, I did

He nodded and averted his gaze from her. She sat in front of him.

Mini: Look at me, Neil.

He still looked down. She came a bit closer and held both of his hands in assurance. He looked at her. He could see she was worried, tensed and anxious about his sudden disappearance, but more than that she was worried about his current situation. The pain in his heart was getting heavier each passing second, and he too, wanted to confide in someone. And it was HER!

Neil: I.... I'm sorry to leave like that. I know it was wrong...

Mini: Neil, I know something is bothering you... Like you said, it feels better if you share it with someone.. I'm here, tell me...

Neil: Aaj... Mere parents ki anniversary hai...

He smiled slightly at her and grew silent once again.

Mini: Toh, yeh toh achhi baat hai naa. Tum unse milne gaye the? Yahin rehte hain kya woh? Or they live in Delhi and you wanted to send something to them?

He was still silent. But Mini could see tears forming in his eyes and immediately she understood his situation. Just like her, his parents had gone. And this day reminded him more of their absence. He started taking deep breaths to control himself from breaking down. She tightened her hold on his hand.

Mini: Neil... Don't control yourself... Stop caging your emotions like this. Let them go... You'll feel better, trust me!!

He looked into her eyes, which were radiating warmth and assurance, in abundance.

"Can I hug you, Mini?", he managed to ask, looking straight into her eyes.

She didn't reply, instead, she kept looking into his eyes which were reflecting the same vulnerability which she had felt. Not being able to see his pain filled red eyes anymore, she wrapped her arms around his neck pulled him into a tight hug. After a few seconds, the tears caged in his eyes rolled down his cheeks as his head rested below her shoulder and his hands held her waist tightly. She caressed his hair, her fingers slowly massaging his scalp, helping him to calm down. Both of them were silent, nobody uttered a single word. While Neil was in a state where he just wanted to let go of his bottled emotions, she embraced his vulnerability and gave him the warmth, his eyes told her, he yearned.

Slowly, he got normal but, he still didn't break the hug. In her embrace, he realised what real peace is. She too, didn't break the hug as she too, felt comfortable like never before in his embrace. After a few minutes, they reluctantly broke the hug. Mini offered him water and he gulped it in one go.

Mini (repeating his words): Oh hello!! Aaram se... Water should be consumed slowly...

Visit part-3 for this