05

[The Star-Spangled Man]

Bucky and Rosie sat in their apartment as they watched the reveal of the new Captain America. Both had their hands to their knees as they stared intently at the TV.

"Did you know Steve Rogers?" the announcer asked.

"I was two years out of West Point when Steve came back on the scene," Walker replied. "I followed his career very closely as an Avenger. I like to think that I modeled my work after his."

Rosie scoffed. "You have to be kidding me."

"So, you've always wanted to be a hero?" the announcer questioned.

"I liked that what I was doing would make people feel safe. Steve Rogers was the kind of guy who could do that, he gave me hope." Bucky and Rosie tilted their heads with slightly seething expressions. "So, even though I never met him, he feels like a brother." Bucky pursed his lips and Rosie narrowed her eyes.

"Wow."

"Wow yourself," Rosie retorted, turning to Bucky. "I think we have a winged superhero to talk to."

"Yes we do," Bucky replied.

---

Sam looked at a poster of the new Captain America which read 'CAP IS BACK - JOHN WALKER'.

"Seems like a good guy," Torres commented. "You met him?"

"No," Sam said. "Thanks for doing this on such short notice."

As the two walked away, Torres replied, "Yeah. No sweat. I'm just, uh, finishing up the checklist. You'll be all good to go once you land in Munich." They walked down the metal stairs.

Bucky and Rosie stalked up to Sam and said, "Shouldn't have given up the shield."

"Good to see you too, Buck, Rosie. Nice to see you're still together."

"This is wrong."

"Hey, hey, look, I'm working, all right? So all this outrage is gonna have to wait." The three walked towards a plane.

"You didn't know that was gonna happen?" Bucky asked.

"No, of course I didn't know that was gonna happen. You two think it didn't break my heart to see them march him out there and call him the new Captain America?"

"This isn't what Steve wanted," Rosie told him.

"Oh, my God. So, what do you two want me to do? Call America and tell 'em I changed my mind? Huh?" He chuckled. "Yeah, right. It's a great reunion, buddy, Rosie, be well."

"You had no right to give up the shield, Sam," Bucky retorted as the three of them stopped.

"Hey. This is what you two are not gonna do. You two aren't gonna come here in your overextended lives and tell me about my rights. It's over, Bucky, Rosie. Besides, I have bigger things to deal with now."

"What could be bigger than this?" Rosie retorted.

Sam pulled out his phone and showed them a picture of a masked man, the leader of the Flag Smashers. "This guy. His connections with rebel organizations all over Eastern and Central Europe, and he's strong. Too strong."

"And?" Bucky and Rosie pressed.

"Well, he's been connected to this online group called the Flag Smashers. Now, Redwing traced them to a building somewhere outside of Munich. So that's where I'm going."

"Well, I don't trust Redwing," Bucky said. "I can't speak for Rosie on that."

Rosie shrugged. "I'm impartial."

Sam looked between them a moment. "Hold on a minute. You two don't have to trust Redwing, but I'mma go see if he's right. 'Cause I have a feeling they might be part of the Big Three."

"What "Big Three"?" Bucky and Rosie asked.

"The Big Three."

"What Big Three?"

"Androids, aliens and wizards."

"That's not a thing," Bucky told him.

"That's definitely a thing."

"No, it's not," Bucky and Rosie argued.

"Every time we fight, we fight one of the three."

"So, who are you fighting now, Gandalf?" Bucky questioned.

Sam looked between them. "Wh- How do you know about Gandalf?"

"I read The Hobbit in 1937 when it first came out."

Rosie gave a half-smile at Bucky's tone before saying, "I read it shortly after it came out."

"So you two see my point?"

"No, we don't," Bucky answered. "There are no wizards."

"Doctor Strange."

"Is a sorcerer," Rosie said.

"Aah!" He chuckled. "A sorcerer is a wizard without a hat. Think about it. Right? I'm right. I just came up with that. It's crazy. But that's not the point. These guys are magical. All right? They use brute force just like you two, the incredibly annoying guy and girl in front of me with the staring problems." He started walking off.

"We're coming with you," Bucky decided as he and Rosie followed after him.

"No, you're not."

Bucky and Rosie continued after Sam.

---

The plane flew to Munich, Germany.

An alarm blared and Torres skipped to where the three Avengers were before saying, "One minute to drop off, Sam." He walked to another area of the plane.

Sam, Rosie and Bucky stared at each other.

Sam leaned forward, then Bucky, and both stood, shortly followed by Rosie, who was irritated with their arguing.

As Sam grabbed his goggles, Bucky asked, "So what's our plan?" Bucky walked away and Sam put in his earpiece without answering.

Bucky sat down and added, "Great. So no plan."

"Thirty seconds!" Torres said, looking out the open door.

"Enjoy your ride, Buck," Sam told them.

"No, you can't call me that," Bucky argued.

"Why not? That's what Steve called you and what Rosie calls you."

"Steve and Rosie knew me longer, and Steve had a plan and Rosie is quick-thinking."

"Fifteen seconds to drop," Torres informed.

"I have a plan," Sam replied as he walked towards the open door.

"Really?" Bucky and Rosie asked, standing. "What is it?"

Sam jumped out, extending his wings and Bucky muttered, "Great." His voice rose. "Where's the chute?"

"We're at 200 feet," Torres replied. "It's too low for a chute."

"We don't need it anyway." He and Rosie walked to the door.

"You two sure about that?"

"Yeah."

Rosie glanced at Bucky, seeing the fear in his eye, swallowed her own, and took his hand, squeezing it gently.

Bucky offered her a small smile, ripped off his sleeve to expose his Vibranium arm, let go of her hand, and jumped out with a yell.

Rosie sighed as she said into her comm, "A little help? I shouldn't jump like my husband."

Sam flew back to get her. "Yeah, I got you."

Bucky grunted and groaned as he fell to the earth, hitting it with a thud. He let out another groan.

Falcon said, "I have all of that on camera. You know that, right?"

Bucky stared at Redwing and retorted, "Get out of my face, Sam, or I'll break it. Where's Rosie?"

"I got her. Okay, head north. Come on."