8 - ʜᴏʟᴅ ᴏɴᴛᴏ ᴇᴀᴄʜ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀ

Lily and Rosalie were not expecting anyone to join them outside. Most of their guests had left and none of the remaining people had any interest in heading outside. It was easy to tell something was wrong. Edward was on edge again. Bella was pulled tight against him. Lily didn't even try to stop herself from glaring at Jacob as he followed behind them with his two friends. Only Esme and Emmett remained inside as they tried to entertain the rest of their guests.

"What now?" Rosalie sounded annoyed.

"Take Lily inside," Carlisle commanded.

"How long?" Edward turned towards Alice, ignoring the other conversation.

"They'll be here in four days."

"Who is? What did you see?" Lily wanted answers.

"Rosalie, please take her inside. This doesn't involve her."

"Stop trying to make us leave."

Carlisle could tell he was fighting a losing battle and turned back to the group at large. "This could turn into a bloodbath."

"Who's behind it?" Edward questioned.

"It's who we expected. Riley Biers."

"Anyone else. There has to be something else in play." It didn't make any sense to Edward.

"Whoever did is staying out of the action. I can't see anyone else." Alice sounded annoyed.

Carlisle thought for a moment. "They must be playing with the blind spots in your vision."

"Either way, the army is coming... ... and there aren't enough of us to protect the town." Jasper was far too familiar with what it took to defeat a newborn.

Jacob decided to add in his two cents. "Hold up. What damn army? And who is this?"

Carlisle sighed "Newborns. Our kind. And that's Lily, our youngest."

"Oh, so you're just collecting humans at this point." Quill sounded annoyed. Carlisle didn't feel the need to dignify that comment with a response. He could make out Rosalie and Jasper tensing slightly.

Embry continued, trying to avoid further conflict. "What are they after?"

"They were passing around Bella's scent. A red blouse." The words seemed to pain Alice.

Embry was concerned. "They're after Bella?"

"What the hell does this mean?" Jacob's voice was getting loud.

"It means an ugly fight. With lives lost." Lily couldn't remember Carlisle ever looking this tired. She knew he always tried to keep the coven safe. It's been a rough year and a half.

Jacob seemed resolved. "Alright... We're in."

Bella immediately jumped in "No. You'll get yourself killed, no way."

"I wasn't asking for permission. It means more protection for you."

"Jacob."

"Do you believe Sam will agree to an understanding?" Carlisle ignored Bella's plea.

Jacob smirked. "As long as we get to kill some vampires."

"Jasper? Thoughts?" Carlisle knew he had the most experience.

"They'll give us the numbers. And the newborns won't know they even exist. That'll give us an edge."

"We'll need to coordinate."

"Carlisle, they're gonna get hurt." Bella needed one of them to see reason.

"We'll all need some training. Fighting newborns requires the knowledge that Jasper has. You're welcome to join us. Alright. Bella, it's their decision."