01 | nightmares

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ chapter one

nightmares ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

HER final draft landed on the table between the two adults with a soft thump

HER final draft landed on the table between the two adults with a soft thump. The smell of freshly printed paper wafted up in the air and she inhaled sharply, waiting with baited breath.

The written piece had been meant to be about the abundance of advertisement posters that are being torn down by the homeless around each bus stop. Turns out, they didn't appreciate the capitalistic messages that are being displayed. Not like Sylvia blamed them much.

Here she was, sitting on the other side of the desk across from the head editor of the London Digest, a local newspaper that obtained a modest amount of readers around the city. The head editor that also happened to be her very clearly let-down boss. This was evident by the grim expression on the portly man's wrinkled face. He looked like she'd just delivered him the most subpar meal in existence, but also didn't quite have the courage to ask the waitress for it to be remade.

Sylvia sat back in her chair with a small huff and wrung her hands in her lap. "It's not good enough."

Charles, who always preferred to go by Charlie and was not afraid to remind you this, put his hands up in mock surrender. "It's not horrible. But you're just not there yet."

By there, he meant ready to be a full writer on the team. It had always been Sylvia's goal since she was in middle school and writing on the newspaper squad to be part of the real thing. Memories of her mother ruffling her braided hair flashed through her brain. My baby is gonna be a journalist! She'd say this before going back to straightening her crystals that were scattered around their little one bedroom apartment in the heart of New Orleans.

Sylvia wanted to tell people she was a writer for the London Digest, but to be truthful, she was just an intern that was very lucky to be paid enough of a wage to scrape by on her rent. The whole point of her moving to London in the first place was for this opportunity to be an intern, which is almost a once in a lifetime opportunity based on her experience of ageless searching for an opening position.