Chapter 19

*Rose's POV*

It was a quiet night after that. Both of us sat on the couch silently for a bit, neither knowing what to do or to say. It's not like I wished to speak to him anyway but the silence was unbearable. Soon enough, I lift myself off the couch and make my way toward my room. On the way, I glance at the boxes by the door once more but don't pay much attention to them as I walk into the room, closing the door behind me. I lay on the bed again, just like all day. Didn't really have anything better to do anyway. I begin going over the conversation on the couch and never know when I doze off, finally done for the day. 

I woke up the next morning to the soft and gentle voice of Doris on the other side of the door. The only good thing I have is her right now. I hear her gently knock on the door as I stretch in my bed. 

"You can come in," I answer, turning my head to see her watching in. I give her a soft smile and she smiles back at me.

"Good morning!" Doris wishes me. "Did you sleep well?"

"Mhmm." I answer. 

"Very good. Are you hungry?" she asks as she pulls the curtains away from the window to let the sun pour in. 

"Yeah, but.-" I begin to say, sitting up now, scrunching my eyes from all the light"..-where did you go yesterday? I was looking for you."

"Oh honey, I'm sorry. I had to leave early yesterday, I had to pick up my grandson from school." she says, pausing to smile at me as she mentions her grandson. "Oh he's such a little darling. He's only 6 but the sweetest boy I've ever known." She seemed to be talking proudly. 

"I'm sure he is." I answer, softly, stepping out of bed. 

"But Mr.Evans was home yesterday, wasn't he? He was making breakfast I remember, I thought it would also be good for the new couple to have some time alone." Doris asks as she begins to make the bed. 

"Uh, yeah he was.." I answer briefly, avoiding meeting her eyes. Did she not know what had happened? I mean how can she not, she saw me yesterday! "I'll think I'll go shower and get dressed." I add soon after. 

Doris nods at me as I make my way towards the bathroom before stopping midway and turning back to her. "Doris, would you be gone again?" I ask. I really didn't want to be left alone with Mark again. And I would really like to have her company, she's just so kind. 

"No sweetheart, I'm here until Mr.Evans is back. Don't worry. Go on, hop into the shower and I'll make you some nice breakfast."

Those words were enough to lighten my face. "Alright, thanks." I say with a big smile on my face as I walk into the bathroom. 

I take a quick glance at myself in the mirror and all the marks still on my skin before turning away. I get myself a quick shower and wrap myself in a towel with my hair twirled into another towel. I walk out, wondering what to wear when I catch sight of a pair of blue jeans and a white T-shirt along with fresh underwear laid onto the bed for me. I couldn't deny but feel a little embarrassed like Doris was doing everything for me. I didn't grow up with people doing things for me and I couldn't tell how I felt about it now. I get changed regardless and quickly scrunch my hair dry with the towel before walking out of the room. 

"Good timing, I just made us some coffee!" I hear Doris say as I walk to her in the kitchen and take a seat at the breakfast bar. My stomach grumbles as she places a plate of a fried egg and avocado toast in front of me. 

"Thank you, Doris." I say, smiling as she sits busies herself with filling up the dishwasher. I begin to eat quietly before speaking again. "Um, you don't have to do all this for me.." I mumble.