ch. 2 ♡︎

It's the end of the school day, and the teacher is announcing "tutoring" pairs, but they're really more like study buddies.
The group of girls swooning for Beomgyu yesterday eagerly wait for one of their names to be called with his. Yesterday, after seeing all of them act like that in front of him made me want to throw up, and I sincerely hope none of them get him, for Beomgyu's sake of course.

"Choi Seri," Ms. Kang says while fishing for another folded paper out of the bowl, "and Kim Changwoo!"
I laugh at the coincidence as Seri loudly groans and and slides her arms on the table, her hands covering her eyes.
I turn to see Changwoo's cheeks flush red as he readjusts himself in his seat.
Kayoko quickly turns around and snickers at Seri just before his name is called from the teacher.
"Our friends Kayoko, and..." She draws out the and, "Kylie Kumar!"
He instantly lets out a small gasp and clasps his hand over his mouth in a very dramatic but natural-for-him reaction.
His head turns back around to face the teacher as Seri jokingly pokes his back.
A few more classmates are called and finally my name is called.
"Hye-jin will be partners with..."
I close my eyes and cross my fingers, desperately hoping to not get a dumb partner.
I'm one of the top in my class, I can't afford someone possibly bringing me down.
"Choi Beomgyu!"
I sigh.
I guess my wish did not come true.
There are whispers from around the room, predominantly coming from the group of girls.
Some shoot me nasty looks.
"Ooo~" Seri smiles and nudges my arm. "Looks like we're gonna have some enemies now." She says with a smile on her face, nodding her head in the direction of the girls.
"I'll be the one with enemies! You'll be fine!" I say, disappointed at the problems I know I'll face from this.
In the past years, if any girl ends up being partners with Beomgyu, all things go bad for them.
They are targeted by other girls and get hated on. I've seen girls transfer schools because of the consequences that come with being Choi Beomgyu's partner.
Dangers include: Glue on the seat, skirt being pulled down, water poured on you in the bathroom, tripping, being framed, lies spread, house egged, food falling on you, and hair cutting.
All of this happened to just one girl. She was the first study buddy of Beomgyu. AKA, number one.
Ever since our school started the Study Buddy program three years ago, all of the girls have been numbered.
I will be number four.
"That's not true. I will have to defend and protect you, obviously. I will not let anything happen this year." Seri says while staring down the girls.

Dare I turn around to look at Beomgyu, knowing he's probably already looking at me. He's always had a thing for eye contact.
The teacher moves on and continues to draw names until we finally finish.
"Well, tutoring starts today after school! I hope you all get something out of this." Ms. Kang smiles.

That afternoon, Seri, Kayoko, and I all make our way to the library for the first tutoring session.
"Man, I really wish I had gotten a different partner." Seri complains as she kicks at random rocks on the ground, slowly moping along.
"Guess it looks like your luck didn't come through." Kayoko laughs in her face.
"Pfft. You're one to talk!" She replies shooting him a side eye.
"Well, at least you both probably won't be harassed for who your partner is. I can only imagine what I'll have to endure with Beomgyu." I sigh.
"True." Seri admits and Kayoko agrees.
"Well, technically I could get harassed by Khloe and her friends but it's whatever." Kayoko says.
"Hey! Not with us around. I won't let anybody lay a finger on my baby Oko." Seri smiles and grabs him into a headlock.
"Y'all switched up fast." I laugh as Kayoko is demanding her not to call him that anymore.
"Guys shh! We're here." I try to calm them down laughing as we enter the library.
Lo and behold, Changwoo is already sitting, waiting for Seri happily at a table.
As soon as she sees him she rolls her eyes and I elbow her side.
Kayoko is also greeted by a smiling Khloe who waves him over.
I scan the room for Beomgyu, but he's not here yet. As expected.
I go and find a seat away from them in the corner of the room.
The library is really big, with glass windows lining one wall and our school's emblem is carved out in glass on the ceiling. There are many rows of books one after another on the first floor, along with tables, couches, chairs, and barstools.
There is an escalator to the second floor, upstairs, where there is a coffee shop.
I pull out my notebooks and being looking over today's assignment.
After a few minutes, I see a hand waving under my face that's looking down.
"Woah, you're totally studying furiously!"
It's Beomgyu.
"I'll be an A+ student by the end of this year!"
I sigh and motion for him to sit down as he takes a seat beside me.
"Don't dream too hard." I say under my breath and look at him expectantly.
"Where are your notes?" I ask him.
He says nothing and simply smiles at me, bring his pointer finger to his head while he taps lightly two times.
"Up here."
"Aish, Beomgyu, you don't take notes?" I ask slightly angered.
"아니~!" He draws out and looks at me in an offended-dramatic way.
"This is going to be a nightmare." I whine.
"No it's not!" He protests.
"Okay. From now on, you have to start jotting things down, okay? Even if it's just a little!" I present the idea, holding out my pinky finger.
"Okay." He happily agrees and intertwines his finger with mine.
"Now, where do you want to start? I already went through my scores and mapped out which areas I need the most focus in. It's mainly language and history for me. What about you?" I ask.
"Erm-- uh..." He says while looking around quickly before whispering, "all of them."
Instead of making him feel bad, all I do is say "Okay" and move on.
"Do you know where you probably need the most help on? I will try my best." I ask.
"Yeah, probably science." He replies.
"Got it..." I say as I thumb through my organized notebook, finding my "Science" section and grabbing some pencils and highlighters.
"So," I smile to him. "Where to begin?"
"Ah, do we really have to do this?"

After about an hour of studying, people begin to leave.
I notice that both Seri and Kayoko seem to be packing things up and about to go.
I look back to Beomgyu to see his eyes closed and his head resting on in hand.
He must be tired.
I take my pencil and tap the edge of his nose.
"Beomgyu..." I say.
"Huh?" He says slowly.
"Shouldn't t you be studying and not sleeping?" I ask annoyed.
"I wasn't sleeping." He replies coldly and scoffs.
"I was thinking about something. I have a question for you."
Oh great.
"What is it?" I ask, curious.
"Will you let me be in your group for Activity Day?" He asks.
"I--" I start and see him batting his eyelashes at me, obviously trying to seem cute.
"Uhm, well, shouldn't you be participating in it with all of your friends?" I ask.
"I don't have any friends." He says in a wannabe-pitiful voice.
"Lies." I say and stare at him. "You're one of the most popular guys at our school."
"Okay, but-- okay well, yeah I might have some friends but... they're not you." He whispers the last part so quiet I'm not sure I even hear correctly.
"I don't know. I'm already going to get hate for being your study buddy..." I say.
"Please? Every year my group is first and yours is third. You could use me anyway." He says.
This just annoys me.
"No, we don't need you. We'll do great, even if we don't win." I say and begin packing my things up.
"Why are you so afraid of me being on your team anyway? You act like I'm a plague or something. Everytime I even smile at you in class you never smile back, or even look my way." He continues to talk and talk and talk.
"Gosh, would you just shut up?" I finally say, aggravated.
He looks taken aback and is quiet for a second. "Sorry." He apologizes shortly.
It's quiet for a few seconds as I continue gathering my things then he says, "Is it because I'm and idol?"
"Beomgyu!" I groan.
"What? I want to know!" He responds loudly.
I walk outside with him trailing behind me.
I stop in my tracks suddenly, causing him to nearly bump into me.
"Wait," I say with a confused tone and turn around to face him. "What did you say in there? That you were an Idol?" I ask.
"Y-Yes." He looks at me with big eyes and an expectant expression.
"Since when? I never knew that." I ask with a confused look on my face.
Wow, that explains so much.
The coming to school only so often lately, increased visual (I hate to admit it), the cameras, and the hate us partners have gotten.
Agh, how could I be so unobservant?
"Wait, you didn't know that? I mean, we only just made our debut a couple weeks ago but still!" He asks shocked as he begins to laugh.
His ego seems to have increased as he adjusts his jacket and proudly looks around, squinting I'm the afternoon sun. "I am an Idol."
"Well, that explains things." I say.
"Like what? My handsome face?" He gushes over himself and traces his jawline.
"No-- like your sporadic attendance." I scoff and begin walking away, leaving him standing there looking like an idiot.
"HYA! Wait up!" He screams and bounds after me.
"So what's your answer?
"Hmm..." I say as I pretend to contemplate his offer. "No."
"What! Why?" He asks, whining in outraged.
"Because, like I said, my team is fine as it is and we don't need anyone's help-- idol or not."
And with that I turn on my heel and head home, leaving a saddened Beomgyu squinting after me in the sun.