Let's Talk About Death, Baby!

Shorter chapter, but a longer one is on the way!

Possible TW: mentions of death

As he led their new mapmaker to the brig, Ray questioned the boy's ability to survive on a rugged pirate ship. The crew had certainly brought hostages on the ship for specific uses before, but they seldom survived more than a few months, most of them succumbing to disease before their duties had been fulfilled. This, coupled with the fact that Frank was a small, somewhat fragile boy, worried Ray. He knew he wasn't supposed to worry himself about a prisoner's quality of life, but he always did anyway. He always tried to occasionally sneak an extra piece of bread for a captive, or perhaps provide a blanket on an especially cold night. Captain Way found out about the pirate's good deeds a few times and often scolded him for it, but Ray knew he was keeping the prisoners alive with his acts of kindness. In order to avoid seeming lily-livered to his fellow inmates and to avoid punishment from the Captain, he became more secretive when it came to his treatment of hostages. Ray would be harsh with a prisoner in front of his mates, but kind when the crew turned their backs. It was exhausting, but he felt that it was necessary. The pirate intended to treat Frank like he treated every captive, by simply keeping a watchful eye and making sure the boy stayed alive for as long as possible.

"Is this where I'm staying?" Frank asked, snapping Ray out of his worried thoughts.

"Aye." the pirate responded while he opened the cell door.

"Oh, okay," Frank responded halfheartedly, stepping into the small cell.

Ray untied the prisoner gently and locked the cell door.

"It ain't so bad mate, ye will get used to it."

"I suppose I shouldn't get used to it, should I?" the prisoner asked.

"Well," Ray paused, looking at the boy. He looked like a lost puppy, the pirate couldn't help but pity him. He knew Frank was referencing his all too likely death, but Ray decided to pretend not to know why the prisoner said what he said, in an attempt to keep his spirits up.

"why do ye say that?" Ray asked, hoping the conversation wouldn't become grimmer if he played dumb in response to the question.

Frank hesitated. Perhaps it would be wiser to pretend he didn't know what was going to become of him, it would be wiser to stop asking questions. But this pirate, Ray, seemed like the nicest one, and the least likely to kill him, therefore the best one to ask how many days he had left. Frank mustered up his courage and opened his mouth to speak.

"After I make this map, you're going to kill me, correct? I shouldn't get used to sleeping here, I shouldn't get used to you keeping me alive. As soon as I stop benefitting the Captain, he will kill me, won't he?"

Ray sighed.

"I'm not the one to ask, lad," he responded truthfully. "we usually kill the hostages after they're no longer of use." he paused, looking at the mapmaker's worried expression.

"But maybe Cap'n will keep ye around for a little longer. It's not unheard of, but it'll depend on how much he likes ye." Ray added, fearing that his response was a bit too harsh.

"It's not unheard of?" Frank asked, hopefully. The pirate was surprised that the lad took that from his response, instead of Ray's thinly veiled message of 'yeah, you're probably gonna die.' Nevertheless, he humored the boy.