v

As the days passed, the less she moved from the office

As the days passed, the less she moved from the office. She was protected here but she was still drowning with everything she had to take care of, this was much different than what she expected. She thought it would be easy but it wasn't, she didn't leave the office no matter how much Vera pleaded with her daughter that she needed a break but after a while, Tiana noticed that her mother gave up and instead of bringing food into the dining room and trying to coax Tiana into eating in the dining room she had the maids bring it to the office.

Tiana has only been doing this for less than a week and she already feels overwhelmed but she can't show it to any of her employees, she doesn't want the news of her being overwhelmed to somehow get out to Uncle Leif, she knew that he would use to his advantage as proof that she couldn't handle it. She ran a hand through her hair and pushed back the chair with a huff, she could feel her head beginning to spin and the numbers beginning to blur together. Her Dad's words fluttered into her brain. "Take a break, if your eyes start to hurt that means you've gone too long and that's when mistakes happen." so Tiana took Anton's advice, she rubbed her eyes and stood up deciding to turn in for the night before she makes mistakes that can cost her, her life.

She thought about taking the plate from her dinner into the kitchen but she decided to just tell whichever maid about it that she sees first, Tiana walks carefully toward the door and opens it, she was shocked to find that it was dark only a few lamps that lined the walls were still on the illuminate the hallway. Tiana wrapped her arms around herself and walked towards her parents' room, she hasn't been into her parents' room in a while claiming that she grew out of that when she was 13 because she was a teenager now but she knew that this late Vera would be getting ready for bed. Maybe smoking, maybe drinking but Tiana knew that she would be awake at this time.

When she reached her parents' door she knocked gently. "Come in," Vera said, Tiana knew by the surprised expression on Vera's face when she walked in she was expecting a maid. "Tiana, what are you doing up this late?" Vera asked putting the wine that she was drinking on the side table, Tiana glanced at the side that was nearest to the door. It was empty, she knew that was where Anton always slept and when Tiana asked him why he always slept closest to the door his answer was always the same. "If someone comes to kill us, I will go first to give you and your Mom the chance to escape." Tiana didn't know what he meant but now that she was forced to take over she understands, slightly.

"I was working," Tiana said walking towards the bed and slipping off her shoes to climb into the bed next to Vera, she was careful to not touch Anton's side not wanting to disturb the scent of Anton that was still clinging to the pillows. "Just like your father." Vera sighs as she brushes some hair away from Tiana's face, Tiana doesn't respond she just sighs and moves her head so it's pillowed in Vera's lap. "So, what brings the newest boss of the Malinowski Emperor to her Mother's room?" Tiana can hear a teasing glint in Vera's voice but she also can hear a touch of concern in her voice as well. "I'm just stressed, this is so much harder than I thought it would be. I thought I would have years before I would have to take over but I'm only 17, I can't fucking do this." Tiana sighed stuffing her face into the covers. "Well honey, you are just starting. It's going to get easier, you should ask your Uncle Leif to help. I know that he talked to you when your father passed." Vera's voice trailed off as Tiana sighed.

Her mother didn't know about the tension between Leif and Tiana the only one who knew was Anton because he watched it happen and often acted as the buffer but Tiana knew that Vera would never understand when it came to business, sometimes Tiana didn't even understand. "I love you, Mom, I hope you sleep well," Tiana said quickly as she sat up and started to scoot towards the end of the bed. "Night darling, I'm going to the financial district with a few of the maids to pick up some things so let someone know tomorrow if you need anything." Despite knowing that she didn't need anything Tiana nodded dismissively watching as her mother grabbed her glass of wine to start sipping at it.

When Tiana reached the door she opened it and turned around in the doorway to say goodnight but she let out a small sigh before walking out into the hallway and closing the door behind her. She clasped her hands and walked down the hallway towards her room, she could feel her body was starting to shut down from her lack of sleep lately, the amount of sleep she has been getting was short because she would fall asleep in the office chair and wake up with a face full of papers from faceplanting into the work she was looking over.

She grabbed the door handle and pushed it open, she sighed happily when she saw that her silk pajamas were waiting for her on her couch. As Tiana walked over she started to slip off the clothes she was wearing and she was dropping them where they landed leaving her naked except for her underwear by the time she reached her couch. She slipped her pajamas on and pulled her hair out from her shirt before she started to walk into her bed.

Tiana moved the covers back before she slipped into bed letting out a sigh of contentedness, in the back of her mind she knew that she had to go back to the paper and hard work tomorrow but for now she had to rest.