vii

After a few days of asking around one of her workers finally came to her with someone, a Lizabeta Kuznetsova

After a few days of asking around one of her workers finally came to her with someone, a Lizabeta Kuznetsova. She was a local to Ketterdam but she was an orphan so she was alone and today Tiana would be meeting her, just to see if she would be good enough before she got the approval from her advisors to hire her. They were hesitant at first to allow Tiana to get an assistant but pleaded with them until they agreed, but only if they get to approve who it was.

Tiana looked up when there was a knock on the door, she sat up in her chair making sure the paperwork on her desk was all aligned before she stood up. She walked over to the mirror that was in the corner of the office and straightened her hat before she walked to the door and took a deep breath before opening it. "Miss Malinowski, Miss Kuznetsova is here for the job interview." One of Tiana's workers told Tiana when she opened the door. She nodded before stepping back and opening the door wider so Lizabeta could walk in. The first thing about Lizabeta that Tiana noticed was that she was not meant to be around people like Tiana, she looked shy and a touch scared but Tiana could work with that. "Please, Miss Kuznetsova. Sit." Tiana pointed towards the chair in front of Tiana's desk, the girl nodded quickly before taking the seat that Tiana offered.

"So, Miss Kuzetsova. Why don't you tell me about yourself?" Tiana folded her hands together on top of her desk as she tilted her head to look at Lizabeta. "Well, Please call me Betty." Tiana hummed before nodding her head to tell Betty to go on. "I'm local, as you were probably told." Betty chuckled nervously before looking down at her fingers that were resting in her lap. "This would be my first ever job, I'm very nervous but I need this Miss Malinowski, I have nothing. I have no one, it's just always been myself. I know that I have no experience or anything but I can do this." Betty pushed a piece of hair behind her ear, and Tiana tilted her head as looked at the girl.

Tiana leaned back in her chair and clasped her hands letting them rest in her lap as she stared at Betty, she noticed that the girl was beginning to squirm under her stare which brought a slight smile to Tiana's face but she hid it well. "I'll need to talk to some people but I'll have my workers be in contact with you, Betty. I, unfortunately, can't give you an estimate on when you'll hear back from me but I assure you it will be as soon as possible." Tiana stood up and held her hand out for Betty to shake, Betty quickly stood up and shook Tiana's hand quickly and tightly making Tiana impressed with the grip the girl has. "Even if you don't hire me I appreciate the time that you took out of your day to meet with me, Miss Malinowski." That was the nail in the coffin, Tiana liked her a lot. She knew that she was going to fight hard with her advisors to hire her because Tiana could see the potential.

"We'll be in touch," Tiana said as she led Betty towards the door and opened it so Betty can be let out but one of the workers of the house. Tiana stood by the door watching as Betty was guided out of the house once Tiana was sure she was far enough away she sighed before she went back into her office and closed the door making sure no one can disturb her while she thinks some things over.

Not only does Tiana think that Betty would do a good job but Tiana also feels a little bad for her, unlike Tiana, Betty has nothing. She has no one and Tiana wants to fix that the first step to fixing it is giving Betty a job so Tiana is going to do her hardest to make that happen. She grabbed Betty's contact information that one of her workers had given her when he found Betty and she looked at it before placing it in a safe place in her drawer and closing it so it wouldn't get ruined.

Tiana scooted her chair back and stood up before walking over to the bookcase and grabbing Istorii Sankt'ya, it was a children's book but she remembers her Dad reading it to her when she was small, as she grew up her fascination with the Saints went away but she still remembers the feeling and looking at the beautiful illustrations in the book. She let out a sigh as she stood against the bookcase and opened it, she smiles as she sees the inscription Anton put on the inside of the book, as a little message for future Tiana. The quieter you go, the further you'll get. Tiana reads, it reminds her to listen and it helps tell herself that people underestimate her so she must do a good job.

She closes the book so quickly that she almost smashes her fingers, she places the book back on the shelf before she grabs some whiskey, she doesn't bother to grab a bottle she just pops open the little and takes a giant swig, she winces at the burn when she swallows but she places the bottle back onto the bookshelf and places the lid back on it before walking over to her desk and takes a seat, that's all she needed was some liquid courage to get her back on track.