➠1

The cold air was exhaled by Mieko. She weaved her way in and out of the crowd. The bookstore she had recently opened in Yokohama was doing better than she expected, with around at least two dozen customers visiting the shop and purchasing books.

"HEY MIEKO-CHANNN!" her usual customer, Edogawa called out to her.

" Rampo-kun, pleases don't get the crumbs all over the new books, " she sighed. Yes, she enjoyed his company, but sometimes his presence could be a bit,

overwhelming, so to speak. He reminded her of a certain brother of hers, who was currently undercover.

___

"AChoo!" Dazai Osamu sneezed.

___

After Rampo left the shop, Mieko promptly busied herself with the art of organizing her new books.

___

baby we built this house of memories

take my picture now, shake it till you see it

Music quietly blasted in Shikaru bookshop. A customer who she hadn't noticed was leaning against the wall, a book in hand. Using one hand, he snapped the book, 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' , shut.

"Interesting music taste for someone who runs a bookshop,"

he commented. Mieko's eyes flickered towards the stranger. He was dressed in a black button up shirt (with the first button undone) , dark grey pants, and a beige coat with fur lining the shoulder pads to top off his whole look. 

'Simple clothing design, yes, but the quality of the material is top notch. Rich, perhaps?' 

she wondered for a moment, eyes wandering to the lush fur coat of his. She let out a breathy laugh, upon noticing a price tag hanging from the coat. It was well disguised yes, but was there for the keen eyes of Mieko.

'Ah, stolen.'

"Like what you see?" he asked, black hair framing his face. (yes but that's not the point rn) Mieko glanced to the book in his hands. 

"I much prefer the book you hold," she replied, refusing to compliment his good looks.

"-interesting book taste for a thief," she added on. The stranger was not shocked, nor irked by her statement. He simply resumed the act of staring at her.  He seemed rather amused by her. Gazing up at her, he let out a small smile form on his face.

"I like being different and say that I'm not like other thieves."

This statement made Mieko immediately think of a phrase said by someone she could not remember.

iM nOt liK3 oTheR gUrhLs-

Shaking the thought out of her head, she stared at the man. He was different.

She didn't need different. 

Different led to complications and 

complications often led to tragedy.

But as the rain poured outside, she did not feel the need to refuse the man's suspicious intentions with her, but instead welcomed it. 

They had a brief chat, as if neither suspected the other of something–Mieko took one last glance at the man,

and deep down in their hearts they both knew this definitely wasn't the last they'd see of each other that day.

___
➠10pm

Sighing, Mieko decided to call it a day. Annoyingly, her phone rang just while she was locking up the shop.

However, her pout was replaced with a grin as she saw the caller ID.

Incoming call from
chuuyaaaaaaaa

>Accept      Decline

"Hi Chuuya! How've ya been?"

"Hey Mieko, " his voice sounded tired and pissed off.

Chuuya leaned in close to the phone, as if hoping someone wasn't following him. He spoke in hushed whispers, but Mieko was quickly informed of his secrecy a few minutes later.

"I have a new partner and his names Alubertbitch I tell ya Mieko, hes a real piece of–"

"IT'S KAEYA ALBERICH PEASANT–"

Mieko heard sounds of crackling static in the background. She chuckled before hanging up.

"Well, at least he has someone on his hands..." She looked back at the day's events.

'I wonder if I'll meet that customer again...'

She scoffed aloud,

"Thinking about a man Mieko? Please, the only living thing you've managed to keep alive is Haoru and that quack of a brother you have."

(Haoru's her cat btw.)

"Heck you didn't even manage to keep Oda alive..." she trailed off.

She let out a sad, sorrowful smile.
___

A silent figure watched her from the roofs above, curious.
___

Photo of Haoru btw: