Chapter 14: Casual Before Casualty

After finishing their shifts at the bakery, the time was now 6 p.m. in the early evening. With the sun setting, the three closed up the shop for the day.

"Good job guys," Yawning, Andrea said. "Let's continue tomorrow."

Oliver and Summer nodded.

Summer looked over to Andrea. "Oh, isn't it Sunday tomorrow?"

"Yeah, I think so. Does that mean we don't have to open shop tomorrow?" Oliver asked.

Andrea replied. "Actually, I think so. The other baker we hired should be back by tomorrow. She can run the place if we want to take the day off."

In that instant, Andrea's eyes shined with excitement. "Let's go exploring tomorrow! Isn't that what you wanted to do, Summer?"

"Exploring? Shouldn't you know the place?" Oliver said.

Summer hit Oliver on the back of the head. "Stupid, they just moved here, remember?"

Andrea laughed a little. "There are a few places I want to go to. We should probably pass by the church as well."

"Sounds like a plan." Summer smiled.

---------

Oliver woke up to the sound of church bells ringing outside.

A breeze of warm morning air danced on his skin. The windows swayed with the wind.

Looking over to his side, Summer slept ever so unbothered by the noise.

Her hair spread across her pillow, a blanket scattered across the floor.

"Wake up, it's time." Oliver nudged her. She didn't react.

Looking at her closer, he noticed more things.

Summer's mouth was slightly open, her body moving barely from her relaxed breathing.

A loud ringing sound vibrated from Summer's phone.

Summer sat up, rubbing her eyes. "Oh, good morning."

"Good morning,"

The door to the room swung open. "Let's get going!" Andrea called out as she peeked inside. "We're going to miss mass."

----------

As the afternoon clocked in, Sunday mass ended and the people inside the old church of San Agustin were beginning to leave.

Inside the 500-year-old building were rows of pew chairs neatly organized with images and symbols on the tall glass and red brick walls.

Gold-colored ornaments littered the massive altar at the front of the neo-classic Spanish church. 

"Alright, where to next?" Oliver asked.

"We could probably go eat some breakfast first," Andrea laughed. "We haven't eaten yet."

Andrea walked out of the church, her movements full of glee. "I know a good place we could go to. Then we could visit my school library after."

----------

Following Andrea, the two marched in the early afternoon heat.