Chapter 31: Confronted

"You gave such good head, a little sloppy maybe, but not bad for your first time…"

"Well well, if it isn't Jack Doherty, the infamous pervert!" Brian looks at Jack up and down with surprise. 'My, how you've grown." 

"Let him in Brian. We don't want any trouble." Jack lets the infantile comments pass as he now stands next to Dexter. 

" 'We' now? So I guess all your wishes came true hey Jack? He's good at sucking cock, right Dex?" Brian grins, but for Dexter this is a comment too far. With all the strength he can muster, he pushes Brian back in the chest. Brian stumbles back into the hallway. 

"Get out of my fucking way!" Dexter says through clenched teeth, still aware of the little girl watching tv in the room next door. Jack also takes a step inside as he closes the door behind him. 

Brian looks at the pair as Dexter finally lets go. Two against one. It may be best to relax…  just a little. He watches as Dexter heads up the stairs to his old room, leaving him alone with Jack. The last time they had been alone together in this space was on that fateful day ten years ago. And at that moment, the memory could not help but cross both their minds. "You look like a man now." Brian says with a small smile. "I take it you work out." 

"Yes." Jack replies, trying his best not to engage. He looks up the stairs to see if Dexter is returning. Being alone with Brian made him feel vulnerable. Not in a way in which he would do anything sexual, not anymore, but Brian was good at his mind games. He used his words cunningly to manipulate others. Jack felt guarded, like he may say something he may later regret. 

Meanwhile, Dexter was in his room. His passport was easy enough to locate, but there he was, sat on his old bed. He had half expected his mother to have thrown all of his things away when he was kicked out. Maybe redecorate, but apart from a spring clean and a change of sheets, the room appeared the same, as if it were waiting for his return. He looks down at the passport in his hand. Living in America for 6 months of the year. This all suddenly became very real. 

He gets up from the bed and makes his way to his bedroom door. He can hear Brian talking …

"You're thinking about it aren't you. Our little moment in the kitchen. God! You gave such good head, a little sloppy maybe, but not bad for your first time…"

Dexter is about to race down the stairs, but he is stopped in his tracks when he hears the next few words. 

"How old are you now Brian? 29? 30?" Jack says as he takes a step closer to him. 

"I'm 30. What's that got to do with anything?" He says furrowing his brow. 

"30, still living at home, still working at the garage up the road…" 

"What's your point Jack?" Brian interrupts, the irritation evident from Jack's words. 

Jack now gets up close to Brian's face. "There's nothing wrong with any of that, but here's the thing…" Jack now leans over Brian's shoulder to speak in his ear. "If I asked you to get on your knees right now, you would and do you know why? Because you're weak, afraid, a coward to admit to yourself exactly what you are. Scared of mummy, scared of the world outside." 

"You know nothing." Brian pushes Jack back. But Jack takes it. He knows he is onto something. 

"Is that why you did it to Dex? Was he your test to see how she would react if you ever came out?" 

Brian says nothing, just looking at Jack. "Is that true?" Dexter now slowly emerges from the stairs. "You ousted me to save your own skin? You pushed me out so you knew what you were dealing with, with mum?" 

"You don't understand." Brian begins. "Look at me! Do I look gay to you? Look at my job, my friends. They're all typical men… If they knew, they'd all leave me, not before punching my lights out. I'd be alone." 

"You had me Brian. You fucking had me." Dexter now makes his way down the rest of the stairs. He stands next to Jack, taking his hand. 

Brian sees the interaction, emitting a dry laugh. "Well you both got your happy ending. Good for you." 

"I guess I still need to thank you though." Dexter adds.

"What for?" Brian wonders. 

"If it wasn't for that time in  your closet, Jack and I wouldn't be standing here now." Dexter then pulls Jack's hand towards the door. As he opens the latch, he turns to Brian one last time. "Do right by Ruby." 

Brian lets out a slight nod as he watches the pair leave.

"Who's Ruby?" Brian can hear Jack question on the way out.

"Well..." Dexter begins.

The door clicks closed and the hallway is once again filled with silence. Brian heads into the room where the little girl is sitting watching tv. "Hey, Ruby." The little girl turns and looks at the man who was a 'friend' of her mother's. "Let's go to the park…"