M.C - Night Feed

There it was, the sound you knew was coming inevitably, Shiloh was awake.

You and Michael loved your son, he was just five months old but those five months had been the best of your entire life and Michael had taken to fatherhood like a duck to water, he was amazing with Shiloh in every way and watching the two of them together, the look in Michael's eyes as he looked at his son was something that warmed your heart and sent shivers down your spine. However there was one thing Michael hated, the night feed.

Anybody who knew Michael knew how precious his sleep was to him, he hated getting out of bed for any reason and in the middle of the night it was the worst, everything would be quiet and then the piercing sound of the baby crying would wake you both up and inevitably you would stumble out of bed to feed your son. Michael would never do it.

But tonight you weren't letting up, today had been exhausting and you'd been on your feet from the minute you got up to the minute you fell asleep and when your head hit the pillow you'd decided that was it, Michael was doing the night feed tonight.

Sure enough at around 2am, Shiloh started to cry. Michael turned over and grumbled in his sleep, telling you to go and feed him but you didn't move, allowing Michael to get more and more grumpy. "Babe! He's crying..." Michael grumbled tossing and turning to get comfortable again.
"I know. But its your turn Mike." You pulled yourself up into a sitting position and spoke determinedly.

"Are you serious? But you're awake!" He moaned, shoving his face into his pillow.

"I am. But I refuse to get out of bed. Its your turn." You repeated. After a few more minutes of Michael refusing eventually he caved, the sound of your son's crying got to him and forced him to get out of bed. Michael grunted as he climbed out of bed and padded off to the nursery.

A few seconds later everything went silent before a soft voice floated through to your bedroom. Was Michael singing? Now you were confused and intrigued and despite your protesting earlier you now hopped out of bed to follow Michael to the nursery and sure enough, there he was.

He was stood holding Shiloh looking out of the window and rocking him slightly from side to side as he softly sang Wherever You Are to him. You stood in the doorway silently, not wanting to disturb the moment and closing your eyes to listen to how beautiful Michael sounded singing his song to your son. You smiled to yourself and kept your eyes shut, leaning back against the doorframe and when your eyes reopened Michael was stood in front of you and Shiloh was fast asleep in his crib.

"Spying on me?" He grinned beautifully.

"Maybe." You retorted sheepishly.

"Cmon, let's get back to bed." Michael yawned leaning in to kiss your forehead as he took your hand delicately and led you back to bed. He got in first and you climbed in after, turning away from him and letting his hand snake over your waist, his warm breath on your neck. "This is just the most perfect moment." He sighed, running his hand back and forward over your hip, so gently it gave you goosbumps and before you knew it you'd fallen back to sleep, protectively enclosed in the arms of your love.