metamorphosis pt. 1

🌊

Adella sat on the docks with a bored expression. She had to wait for her foster dad to finish up work on his boat before she could go home. She only had been living with them for a few weeks and they still didn't trust her.

She pulled a small mirror, deciding that fixing her makeup was better than staring at a bunch of expensive boats. As she was putting on more lip gloss shouts from across the dock caught her attention.

Quickly tossing everything back into her backpack she started off towards the sound. A brunette girl was sitting in a red zodiac as two boys laughed at her.

"Why me?" The girl asked as the boat started to float away. "I didn't steal your spark plug." The boy smirked. "Because you're here Cleo." Adella rolled her eyes at the boy.

She always had a hate for privileged boys. "What is wrong with you?" She snapped. The boys turned to her. "And who are you?" The one sneered. "Like you care." She started towards the boat, hoping to help the girl.

"You're right, I don't." With that Adella was shoved off the dock, joining the girl in the boat. "This isn't funny." Cleo shouted as the boat furthered from the dock with the impact of the red head.

The boy shrugged. "Are you kidding? Works for me, right Nate?" They laughed. "Zane!" Cleo let a large sigh. "I'm sorry." Adella sat up with a smile. "It's not your fault."

"I'm Cleo, by the way." The brunette grinned, holding out a hand. "Adella, I just moved a few weeks ago." She answered, shaking her hand. "Oh right. You're the new girl in my history class."

As Adella went to respond another body jumped onto the zodiac. Cleo let out a loud scream. "Is this supposed to be some sort of rescue?" Adella recognized the blonde from her maths class.

"I don't mean to set the obvious, but we're just floating out to sea, all of us." Cleo told the girl. The blonde held up the spark plug with a smirk. "You took that?" 

She chuckled. "Zane Bennet's a pig. Anything I can do to get under his can't be a bad thing can it?" She told the girls. "Definitely not." Adella added. The two girls shared a short smile.

"Thanks Rikki." Cleo told the girl, breaking their eye contact. "You know my name?" Rikki asked in shock. "Yeah, well I've seen you on school since you've arrived." 

Rikki raised her eyebrows slightly. "Oh, I mean I've meant to say hello and everything."  The girl shook her head. "I don't care, really." Cleo's face turned slightly red. 

🌊

The girls made small talk as Rikki drove the zodiac through the canals. "Hold on." Cleo told Rikki. "Hey Emma, want a ride?" She called to a blonde walking down the sidewalk.

"Are you licensed?" Emma asked Rikki. "Are you my mother?" Rikki said back with a laugh. The blonde clenched her jaw but walked down the ramp and climbed onto the small boat.

As the boat circled back to the marina Rikki looked back to the girls."Wanna go out to sea?" She asked them. "Isn't it dangerous in a boat this size?" Emma asked her. "Chill out." Adella told the girl. "I think we should go."

They all awaited Cleo's response. "Um." Emma sent her a look. "Why not?"Cleo said with a smile. Adella and RIkki both grinned as Emma rolled her eyes. "Let's do this."

"Are we chilled out yet?" Emma snapped as they ran out of fuel. Adella rolled her eyes, taking in their surroundings. They were far from the mainland but an island was fairly close.

"Feel like paddling to that island?" Rikki asked, knowing it was the only option. "Mako Island?" Emma asked. "Forget it." She shook her head. Adella scoffed. "Why not?"

Cleo cut in before the girls could argue more. "No one goes there. It surrounded by sharks, and reeves, and mangroves." She listed. "Well it's all we've got." Adella said, grabbing a paddle.

🌊

"How are we ever gonna get back home?" Cleo whined as Rikki and Adella pulled the zodiac to the shore. "Good question Cleo, ask your friends." Emma said, glaring at the girls. "Don't put this on us."

Emma scoffed. "So it was someone else's fault. Someone else took this thing miles off shore? You guys are lucky I have this." She pulled her phone from a bag.

"Emma's always prepared." Cleo told the girls. "Good for her." Adella muttered with a small eye roll. "I'm not getting any signal." Emma said as she walked back. "What did you expect? We're on an island in the middle of nowhere." Adella snapped.

She didn't want to be rude, but she was stuck on an island with three random girls. And Emma was starting to get on her nerves. She also knew how much trouble she would be in when she got home.

"We should go to higher ground." Emma said, glaring at Adella. The four girls started up the island. "Do you have any idea where you're going?" Rikki asked. "Just up." Emma responded.

Emma sighed. "I'm still not getting signal." Cleo's eyes grew panicky. "Maybe we won't get a signal. What if we can't call anyone? What if nobody finds us?"

"We'll have to draw straws then." Rikki joked. "Yeah decide whish one of us the others hate." Adella added with a chuckle. Cleo's eyes went wide. "That's not funny." Emma snapped.

Adella let out a snort. "I thought it was pretty funny." Rikki nodded along. "We're relieving the tension."

🌊