𝗠𝗜𝗦𝗦𝗘𝗗 𝗖𝗔𝗟𝗟 》01

The cool breeze blows through my hair, a chill running through my body as I toss a white flower into the hole in the ground.

I hear sniffling next to me and turn to my mother. She's wearing her big sunglasses to hide her watery eyes, yet tears flow freely down her cheeks. I go to put my hand on her shoulder, but she shrugs my touch off. Rolling my eyes, my hand falls to the young boy next to me to ruffle his hair. It's a nice day outside and everyone's in black, my brother pulling at his collar and our sister brushing her hair behind her ear every five minutes.

We walk to the car in hushed silence. Marie has wiped her eyes and her usual scowl is back. The driver's side door opens and her husband emerges looking apologetic.

"Marie, I'm so sorry this call was not supposed to take that long-"

"She was my dear friend Allen and I am your wife," Marie snaps. "That makes her your dear friend too! The least you could have done is waited until after." John and I laugh to ourselves, knowing full well his father never cared much for Marie's friend Theresa. She turned to us. "And I don't know what you two think is so funny! A woman is dead!"

"Women die all the time, Marie." I muttered.

"That's enough, do you understand me? Enough." No one seems to be taking her very seriously. John clears his throat as Allen shoots him a glare. "Mom?" Christine, the mediator as always, tries to change the subject softly. "It's been a long morning, what do you say we get some lunch? Maybe Birdie's?" Marie nods and adjusts her glasses.

"I think that would be fine." Her tone is soft now to match Christine's as she joins hands with her youngest daughter. "Reggie, honey, come on." She beckons to the boy next to me. I wrap my arm around his shoulder with a small laugh. "Um, Reggie can ride with me and John."

"I am going through a hard time, Lorraine." I feel my face heating up at her tone. "And if you don't mind, I'd like to have my grandson with me." I begin to object further, but Reggie stops me.

"It's okay, Mom."

My glance shifts from him to Marie then back to him. He's patient with her. I never could manage it. "Okay baby, I'll see you there." It's only after he's in the backseat with Christine that I turn and start walking with John to his car.

"I don't know what you two think is so funny!" I mock the woman in a shrill voice. John laughs before doing the same. Once in his car, I check my cell phone to see a missed call. John notices my face fall. "What's up?" I don't answer him, instead calling the number back. On the third ring, he answers.

"So are we not answering each other's calls now?"

"Hey, I'm sorry," I scratched my cheek nervously. "We were at a funeral for my mom's friend-"

"I don't give a damn if it's your mom's funeral, Lorraine," I nod, even though he can't see me. John studies my expression closely, though I'm sure he already knows who it is. "If you don't answer me when I call, how am I supposed to know my son is okay?"

"Our son is fine, Nate. I can't just answer calls in the middle of-"

"Whatever, I'll be there tonight to pick him up. And make sure he's ready, I'm not waiting outside for him to pack his things again." I nod again, remembering he can't see me.

"Yeah, yes. Okay." John scoffs to himself. The call ends quickly and I turn off the phone with a sigh.

"Always was quite a catch, huh?" He asks with a small smile. I nod with the same expression. "He coming to get him?" I nod again. "You gotta stick up for yourself, you know?"