𝗢𝗔𝗧𝗛 》03

I switch on the radio again, overwhelmed by the sound of myself chewing.

To my surprise, it's not static on the other end. The sound of a fast rock song fills the speakers and I rush to lower the volume before it blows them out. I realize it's a Metallica song and let out a laugh in spite of myself. Pretty surprising for whatever obscure radio station I've managed to pick up, but it's better than nothing. As I look up, my gaze falls on an employee gathering the shopping carts in the lot.

He doesn't look very old, probably a teenager working for the summer. His back is facing me, but he seems familiar. The vest he wears doesn't match the ones worn by the other employees and the clothes underneath it look dated. Just as I begin to feel like a creep for inspecting the boy so closely, it becomes clear I'm the only one acknowledging him at all. Customers walking by don't pay him any mind, not even to spare a passing glance.

Mike, Danny, they both conjured up a feeling in me that accompanied my remembrance of them. I'm feeling it now, but it isn't nearly as powerful. Not enough to break through the barrier of time and form a face in my mind. Right before the boy can turn to face me, my phone vibrates loudly against the center console. I scramble to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Are you alright?" Reggie's voice has an edge of nervousness, but he manages to sound calm otherwise.

"Yes," I look back up to the employee. His face doesn't look the way I had expected it to. Hadn't his vest been red? "I was just getting lunch." The chip bag crinkles as I fold it closed. The radio is filled with static again.

"Are you okay?" I turn it off.

Reggie's always been intuitive kid. He could sense evil a mile away, usually before I could. I knew he could sense it now, why else would he be so wound up? I clench my eyes shut and rub the bridge of my nose, cursing myself for not buying Tylenol inside.

"I'm scared, Mom." Is all he says. My face feels flushed and I sit up. What did he mean? Was Nate giving him trouble?

"Why, baby? What's the matter?" I try not to sound too panicked, he won't tell me anything if he thinks I'm worrying.

"I just," He pauses. There's a heavy kind of silence. "I had a nightmare last night. About you and Dad."

I try to ignore the lump in my throat at his words. Had he heard Christine and I talking about court? Or even the argument between his dad and I last night? Whatever it is that has caused this anxiety in him, I feel incredibly guilty about it right now.

"Reg, your dad and I have our issues, but it's nothing y-"

"That's not what I mean." Reggie interrupts me. "There was something watching you."

My blood goes cold at his words.

"What?"

"I don't remember a lot. I just know it was bad." I have many questions, but don't press any further. "I have to go, Dad needs to use the phone."

"I, okay, I love you."

"Love you."

The call ends with a beep and I keep the phone to my ear for moment before slowly moving it down.

Something.

He said something.

-

I decide not to rent a room, realizing I'd need the money to fuel my trip back.

At around eight forty-five, I find myself changing in the bathroom of some dimly lit laundromat. The mirror is made of some kind of metal and doesn't offer much of a reflection unless my nose is almost touching it.